Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble getting hired in hosp??

Question Trouble getting hired in hosp??

It seems that around here the hospitals aren't hiring LPN's anymore. Just 2 years ago they were so I was under the impression when I went to school they would still be when I was done. Well it seems that all has changed. There are 2 decent sized hospitals in the area and there aren't any job lisitings for LPNs. Anyone else having this problem. I worked in long term care and did not enjoy it. Right now I work for a clinic specifically pediatrics. I have been here almost a year now, and still nothing. Any advice on how to get in?

Re: Trouble getting hired in hosp??

Been a while since the last time I was here. Hopefully you still check the web.

I am from WA, where are you from, XOEmmyLouOX? Here in Seattle area, it's very tough to get LPN job. One ridiculous thing is that job requires experience, and without job, how is it possible to get experience?

Most places hiring LPN are LTC or assisted living facilities. LPN jobs are replaced by medical asistant due to limited duties of LPN, and that hospitals can pay a lower amount of money to MA.

However, there are jobs here offered for MA, but LPN can apply for the job, only problem is you get paied as an MA. I'm so disappointed.

I am a new grad, and struggling finding a job, which is very unexpected for LPNs. One place I was offered is a long term care facility for $25.00/hr. Sounds great, huh? No, absolutely not! staff/patient ratio is 1:30. How in the world am I going to handle this amount of workload?

I also did several research on the facility and read other posts on allnurses.com ( a similar nursing forum like ultimatenurse.com) about very several bad stories about this workload. I would have a heart attack soon after working like this! I'd rather searching anywhere else before considering the job.

Going back for an RN is probably one a of a way to help out!

I am in Indiana. Around here for LPN's the option is Dr Office where you make nothing (which is what I am doing) or LTC where you make great money, but the pt to nurse ratio is insane. I did LTC for about 3-4 months and I was terrified the whole time. Falls were not being documented, the DON was doing illeagal things, and I was working more than I was sleeping. I miss the money, but I do not miss being worried if I am going to lose my license. I know not all LTC facilities are as bad as the one I was in, but I just don't think I can go back to that. My best advice is don't take the 1st job out of nursing school unless it is what you want.

LPN jobs are hard to come by here too. I live in central MO. There are 3 major hospitals within minutes from me. Only 1 will not hire LPN's. The other two only hire LPN's with prior hospital exp. Clinics pay you terribly. Nursing homes pay well, but like you said Patient ratios are bad.

My first job out of LPN school was in LTC, out of despiration! I was in charge of 60 residents, with two CNA's. So yea, 1/30. Currently I work at Healthsouth, it is acute care rehab. It pays better than hospitals, but not quite what LTC does.

I am like the rest of you, the only way to remedy the problem is to be an RN....

I am in the exact same boat!!! I live in TN- Nashville area. I just got my license and was then hit with the reality that hospitals just aren't hiring LPNs anymore. I sent my resume to the HR offices of every hospital in a 25 mile radius anyways but of course, Got nothing....

I took the first job offered to me which is LTC & I haven't been there too long... It is definitely not for me at all!!! I have been online constantly today & on the phone with doctor's offices in the area trying to find a different job.

I guess the best option is to go back & get my RN. But I want to stay away from the College Network. Any advice on how to do that?

I still have not gotten into a hospital. I have since left pediatrics and now work in urology where we even do in office surgeries. Right now our local hospitals have been laying off RNs even. Yet they have job listings for RNs. What sense does that make? I think it is crazy when even healthcare is affected by our poor economy.

i know this post is from 08 but its jan 2009 and its still like this in these facilities they call skilled nursing/rehab/nursing home/LTAC, im from texas and my LVN graduating class is quickly learning that it is true the hospitals will not pay good wage for LVNS anymore 14-15 an hour, the only place you can make better is the skilled nursing/rehab 18-20 hr, or you can go to agency that will put you in these same facilities for 23 and up. However the pay is in these facilities they are dangerous for you to loose your license,and endanger patients, all my friends have agreed and are suffering under the same conditions i asked all of them to be real in conditions and each of them state the same thing the patient to nurse ratio SUCKS 20-1, NO JOKE, maybe 15-1 again NO JOKE, and night shift, they will give the whole hall NOW 30-1 or 40-1, with what they call a "MED AID" or the way the company justifies not paying another nurse on the hall, and they think you can handle the floor like this according to the other nurses older nurses its always been like this, these facilities are RUN BY LVNS, there is problably 15 LVNS to 1 RN, why because no RN will stand by (for too long)this when they can go to the hospital that will still **** PAY them but not put them through this hell of unjust patient ratio....this SUCKS WE NEED TO STAND UP FOR OURSELVES AND NOT LET THIS GO ON, if any one feels my pain and frustration , let me
    oh yeah and once you reach RN status and you think the crap is over its not, REFER TO NNOC, national nurse union of CALIFORNIA, they are fighting for RN rights no one is fighting for LVN rights, ......???????

Quote Originally Posted by seneyka View Post
    Been a while since the last time I was here. Hopefully you still check the web.

I am from WA, where are you from, XOEmmyLouOX? Here in Seattle area, it's very tough to get LPN job. One ridiculous thing is that job requires experience, and without job, how is it possible to get experience?

Most places hiring LPN are LTC or assisted living facilities. LPN jobs are replaced by medical asistant due to limited duties of LPN, and that hospitals can pay a lower amount of money to MA.

However, there are jobs here offered for MA, but LPN can apply for the job, only problem is you get paied as an MA. I'm so disappointed.

I am a new grad, and struggling finding a job, which is very unexpected for LPNs. One place I was offered is a long term care facility for $25.00/hr. Sounds great, huh? No, absolutely not! staff/patient ratio is 1:30. How in the world am I going to handle this amount of workload?

I also did several research on the facility and read other posts on allnurses.com ( a similar nursing forum like ultimatenurse.com) about very several bad stories about this workload. I would have a heart attack soon after working like this! I'd rather searching anywhere else before considering the job.

Going back for an RN is probably one a of a way to help out!

That's why I will flip burgers, clean toilets or do anything rather than go back to LTC! I used to get chest pain and have nightmares! Out here in AZ I've had up to 42 patients on a medpass and including the PRNs. That is during an eight hour shift and all the other BS that comes with the job. I'm close to getting my RN but doubt I will work in any hospital any time soon by choice.

Hi Everyone i live in GA having the same problem I was trying to get into traveling, but again with the experience thing. With the other question about college network, dont go through them go directly through excelsior. But find out from your home state if they will let you sit for the boards after going through school with them. Also, for the CPNE there is a 5 to 6 month waiting list. So if it it is going to take all that time, sometimes a regular campus education is best, but again it is what works for you and your schedule.

Hi!
    I am a LVN/LPN with four years acute care hospital experience. I work throug an agency to be able to work at a hospital here in california. Its not possible to get hired anymore, and even as a rn new grad, my friends aren't being hired. When I asked the telemetry nurse manager who I basically work for full time with my agency, he said that they would not hire me as a RN because we LVN/LPNs were still considered new grads. It was a bit easier in North Carolina wher I got most of my experience in hospitals...I can not find a full time LPN job out here in california, and am looking to bartend to make ends meet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast