Thread: being asked to take a drug test

being asked to take a drug test

I friend of mine was asked to take a drug test last wednesday by his supervisor, he was given an hour notice and he quit his job about 15mins before he had to get the test. I'm sure his supervisor thought this was extremely suspicious ,but technically it couldn't be written as refusal to take the test could it? And could the BON make him take a drug test because of this ,even though he's not working right now?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: being asked to take a drug test

If his employer reports this to the BON, they could make him take a drug test. Even though he is not working, if he is licensed as a nurse, the BON can request a drug test.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: being asked to take a drug test

most nursing contracts with hospital's include an agreement to submit to randon urine testing with or without cause. Failure to comply is an instant assumption od guilt. Most hospitals do't test without cause - usually such requests come after some incident of pattern of behavior - nurse appears impaired, Fregent irregularities in the narc count, Patients complaining of poor pain relief when cared for by the nurse in question etc. If your friend refused the test you have to wonder why! MY grandmother always said those who have nothing to hide hide nothing. The hospital is likely to report your friend to the Board especially if they have evidence of diversion of narcotics. They will will also turn those records over to the DEA. If your friend has a problem with drugs and/or alcohol he would be wise to seek help now. It may save his life and will be much better for him once the board is contacted if he is receiving treatment.

I am a nurse in recovery, happy, sober and free for almost 4 years. I woould be dead today if I hadn't got put in diversion.

JUst food for thought.

Hppy