Thread: Working & Attending Nursing School

Working & Attending Nursing School

I have one pre-req to take before I can start taking classes to become a RN. My question is this, if I take all my required courses like Chemistry,English Comp etc. and then quit my job go to nursing school and take Nursing 1, Nursing 2 etc. How long should it take and how many of you worked while attending Nursing School? I am recently seperated and I make enough money now to support my family without struggling and I just dont want to be out of work for too long and get myself into financial trouble. I appreciate anys responses. Thanks.

Re: Working & Attending Nursing School

It depends. Are you in an ADN or BSN program, full-time or part-time. I'm getting ready to graduate in May with an ADN and went part-time (3 years). I worked and had a newborn prior to starting. It was hard wroking but it was something we had to do. If you don't have to work or could keep it to a minimum, I would. Perhaps you could get a student loan, if needed.
    Good luck with your decision and school!

I am going to be in an ADN program, Once I get into nursing school it will be full time. I am going to work on getting all my non-nursing classes out of the way. Thanks for the advice.

I recently finished a one-year LPN program. We had school 10 hours a day 4 days a week, and I continued to work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. It can be done, but is not easy. I am enrolling now in RN classes and plan to work full time through it too. Just try to keep your head up and if you have sick time where you work...use it! And most of all GOOD LUCK!