Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other 'addictions'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Any other 'addictions'

Are there any members who are dealing with trying to stop smoking, over-eatting, etc? I am sure there are other 'addictions', also. If so, let's hear from you!

'Cat'

Re: Any other 'addictions'

Oh yeah!! The only thing I have left is cigarettes and coffee and I do it up right. I still reach for 4 advil and not 2. A venti coffee instead of a regular. Some days I don't eat and then somedays it is all I want to do. There are so many ways to look for control or something to adjunct how I am feeling at baseline. I keep all these things in moderation, well except the cigs and coffee that is. I wish I could get addicted to exercise, but that has yet to happen. I might actually have to do something and go to the gym instead of thinking about it. We all know how that works. Hang in there, you are not alone. progress not perfection. I will tell you , what I am doing now is 10000000 better then what I was doing before in active addiction. xoxo

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Talking Re: Any other 'addictions'

I think most of us who are in recovery would admit that we struggle with addictions everyday. Addiction being an allergy of the body, addiction of th mind and a spiritual malady surfaces in all of us. After nearly 4 years of sobriety and a very stressful day last friday - I found myself smoking a cig after quitting nearly 25 years ago. Lucky for me I nearly choked on the thing - no urge for another. I do love my coffee to but allow myself only two cups a day. Moderation helps me to keep life on perspective.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hppy, it is good to know that, after your one lapse, you felt no urge to repeat.

I do hope that others who 'over-do' things will use this Forum, also.

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

I agree that it would be great if those who struggle came to this forum for support - I thinks it's important for others to see what the results of addictive behavior can be with regard to our nursing careers.With one in 10 nurses nationwide in some type of recovery program it behooves us all to help eachother.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Hi Cat and everyone~~ My clean date from mood-altering drugs is 12-13-05 and my last cigarette was on May 14th, 2007 at 7:06. (I actually looked at the clock in my car and prayed it would be my last.) I can't stay clean from either without the help from God and my 12-step program. I firmly believe that if I take 1 drag off a cigarette I would be "off and running"....and would probably smoke til I die. Yes, I think about smoking but I call other people in my program (NA) who have quit smoking, share it at a meeting, pray/pray/pray and sometimes cry and feel frustrated. I can only do it one day at a time and knowing that, so far I have been able to make it. I also forgot to mention that I did take Chantix but only took it for about 10 days because I thought I'd get mentally addicted to that drug. For anyone who wants to quit amoking cigarettes never give up! When I stop and ponder that I don't use drugs or cigarettes just for today I never fail to get tears in my eyes and feel the miracle in my heart.

I am pretty much addicted to EVERYTHING in my life..food,sex,coffee,work,computer,shopping,careg iving,isolating and substances(legal and illegal) and alcohol. I have always been the excessive person I still am today. When I began studying Psych. nursing I thought I might be Bipolar because I do everything in a manic way..but now I realize that I use these addictive behaviors so I don't have to think about the negative feelings inside. Since beginning my recovery 1/31/08 I have been especially struggling with my food compulsion which in the past caused me to be bulemic..I am trying to moderate it but I am still eating something about every 30 mins. If anyone has any suggestions for coping skills for this I would love to hear them
    lp

Just hang in there. Once we stop doing drugs, all the other pulls to do external stuff start of with a fury. There r going to be alot of swings back and forth as to which external addictive substance or behavior comes to mind as we r starting to get clean from drugs/etoh etc. Just the awareness is first, acceptance is next, and then change is last. This is a daily stuggle however. Just for today, just dont use dope and slow down and pray. I know that sounds lame, but it really does help. just stay in today, right now, and you r going to still feel your feelings that will be very magnified right now. The differnce is that u have the choice today to act on them or not. just try to let go and not try and control **** today. xojl

I think I am also addicted to my husband. We don't have anything in common,nothing really to talk about except bills and kids. The only time we spend together that is not boring,tense,or emotional is when we have sex. We have been seperated before but it was alot worse for me emotionally..can anyone identify with this?

Talking Re: Any other 'addictions'

I recently entered the SARP program in MA and other than a monitoring program they really haven't done much to help. My recovery is going well... 9 months on 3/14... but losing my license til 10/08 (although deserved) has been hard. Even harder is finding a job with questions like "why do you want to work as a Tech/Aide when you have your LPN" "don't you know that you're going to make a lot less money" :27: yeah thanks that never occurred to me lol... but then you explain about your addiction and recovery and they treat you like you have leprosy. I don't know just had to vent a little sorry everyone who reads this... and Hi :shades_smile: this is my first time here and post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast