Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other 'addictions'

Re: Any other 'addictions'

Welcome! Congratulations on your sobriety time that is quite an accomplishment. I know we are stereo typed when we are addicts, but remember you have no control over what other people think. You do have control over what you think. I am proud that I have the courage to admit my problem and ask for help in recovery. Stop and think about the positive changes you have made in your life in the past 9 months and give yourself credit. If they choose not to hire you for a position you are well qualified for that is their loss..keep trying because there are employers out there who will understand and want to help. There is a thread here with someone who helps nurses in recovery find jobs..see if she can help you.

I quit smoking 12/07, gained 25 pounds, I started working out to stem the weight gain but to no avail. 3 months later no weight loss. started smoking 7/08, kept the 25 pounds, quit smoking 1/09, no more weight gain. I have been going to the gym and have actually started losing a little weight finally. I just keep telling myself that even with 20 extra pounds i'm healthier, family is supportive, they want to run a family 5 k gives me a goal to work towards. So keep up the non-smoking, it feels good to be free. Yay chantix.

Hello, I am an RN from PA who recently had to surrender my license due to substance abuse addiction. I faced felony charges for diversion of medication and I know have 8mths clean. I went to jail for 3mths in Nov and rehab in Feb(part of the condition to get released from jail) I went to court and received 21mths probation which I currently am doing now. My license is still active in PA, I'm told by my D&A counselor that all is not lost and with time and recovery I can get back my license. I am keeping an open mind about this and staying optimistic, yes I made a horrible mistake but I am not a bad person. I worked very hard to graduate with honors from nursing school, and noone can take my education away from me, I refuse to believe that the rest of my life will consist of working at minimum wage jobs, or as a waitress (which I currently do right now) because of one mistake. I am going to do whatever it takes to turn this situation into something positive, yes it will be hard and believe me sometimes I feel like giving up. However, this disease took away my family, my children, and my career, my livelihood and I absolutely will not allow it to take away anything else. Every day I go to work is a humbling experience, none knows I used to be a nurse because obviously they would wonder why I am working as a waitress, so basically I now take orders from people who are a lot less intelligent than myself, and I have to pretend to not be as smart as I really am. Needless to say this is why I refuse to allow this to be my reality for the rest of my life. This disease is a disability just as cancer and diabetes are a disease, we don't treat people as freaks if they have cancer or question why someone with heart disease had a fatal MI, why treat the disease of addiction any differnt. I started to put out my resume for positions I believe I could do that pay more than my waitressing job, I'm going to be honest about my addiction and recovery because I am not ashamed of it, I am proud to be in recovery. I am looking into going back to school for D&A counseling or perhaps to work in a rehab with D&A patients. Whoever out there that is in a similar situation I would love to hear from you, and please do not give up those in this world who shun us away because of this disease are close minded, God did not bring us this far in life to fail.

Yes, nurses have addictions like everyone else. Perhaps more so due to the stressful environment we put up with as part of our jobs.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/addiction

Will you be able to go back into a nursing career? I was just caught with the diversion and terminated from my position. I have not been in front of the board of nurses yet and don't know what to expect. Jail and my license being terminated are some of my biggest fears.

Neiman Marcus, mainly Gucci and Armani. I am also addicted to tattoo's, and
    Blu Ray movies.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selfish View Post
    Will you be able to go back into a nursing career? I was just caught with the diversion and terminated from my position. I have not been in front of the board of nurses yet and don't know what to expect. Jail and my license being terminated are some of my biggest fears.
    You can be a nurse again! I am living proof of that - but first you must accept your disease and focus on your recovery - everything else will come to you in the fullness of time. you can always leave a message here for me if you need someone to talk to to we can use the chat room of PM as well.
    I don't cme in every day as my job keeps me pretty busy and I am on-call for 104 home care patients this weekend - pray for me! Anyway - this a scarey time but use it to become a better nurse or what ever else you want to be.

Peace and Namste

Hppy

Sadly, I am addicted to nursing forums. Even have my own. It really is screwing up my work toward my PhD. This is a real and serious issue for me.

(I should mention that my other past addictions included every mind altering prescription medication I could get my hands on...plus alcohol.)
    Steph R. RN, MS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12