Thread: "American Travelers Professional Staffing"

\"American Travelers Professional Staffing\"

Reading first-hand accounts in this forum, I’m aware that I’m not the only one to be taken advantage of. But I feel compelled to report that my experience with “American Travelers Staffing Professionals”, headquartered in Florida, was disasterous. The company had been recommended by travelers I knew at my previous permanent position, but, based on my first and only assignment with them, I was extremely disappointed and suffered considerable out-of-pocket losses.

When I initially registered with the agency (as well as in subsequent interviews with the hospital I was eventually assigned to) I made it very clear that my computer skills and experience with telemetry were marginal. I was then assigned to the the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, AZ, over 2000 miles from home. I took up residence there, incurring significant expenses in traveling and setting up housekeeping, a portion of which was to have been reimbursed to me.

After three days of on-the-job orientation, however, it became painfully clear that, in addition to being accountable for a 6:1 patient load (not the 5:1 as originally represented to me by the hospital), exposure to computer usage and telemetry was extremely intense. Consequently, my contract was canceled and I was instructed to vacate the apartment immediately! The reason given was (SURPRISE!) my lack of computer skills. Due to the fact that I didn’t complete the assignment I was denied all promised reimbursements for housing and travel and had to “eat” the not inconsderable costs of setting up housekeeping.

Following the contract cancellation, to ATSP’s credit, they asked if I would like to accept another assignment in the Phoenix area. They reportedly submitted my name and profile to six other area institutions; but not a single response was forthcoming. (I find it hard to believe that not one was interested enough to even call.) They then asked if I would be willing to work in the New York area when I got back East; I told them I would. That was the last I ever heard from the agency, even after I left several messages with them. (So much for support, much less the courtesy of a return phone call!) At that point I notified ATSP that I no longer cared to be associated with them and no longer wished to be considered for assignments through them.

Needless to say I had been disappointed, humiliated and embarassed. Never in my considerable experience as an RN had I ever lost a job or been censured for my performance. I felt totally unsupported by ATSP and was just left twisting in the wind. I got the feeling that no one really cared that I had driven over 2000 miles and invested over $2000 to take an assignment that was misrepresented to me, only to come up empty handed and empty pocketed! I’ll get over the trauma and monetary loss and am currently moving on to other opportunities. In spite of the above account, I honestly do not endorse gratuitous bashng of any agency just because of an occasional minor (or even major) transgression.But I can’t help wondering what recourse there is to protect other nurses in the future from suffering a similar fate?

Re: \"American Travelers Professional Staffing\"

Hi,

Just curious, please don't take offense. Why would you take an assignment in tele with only marginal skills? I am a physical Rehab nurse with minimal med/surg experience and would never even think of talking to anyone out of my comfort zone. I have had a couple of assignments with ATSP and have not had any problems, but then no company can say they haven't had a bad relationship with someone at one time or another. Companies have offered me jobs at hospitals on units where I didn't think I had the skills and I didn't even interview with the hospital. You just have to be very choosy about how, and who, you interview with.
    The best thing is to check out a company and have everything in writing. Good Luck to you.