Thread: Trying to enter the field

Trying to enter the field

Hello- It seems like there are a lot of guys in my posisition-- which is heartening. I am a 32 y.o web developer trying to switch careers and get into nursing. My question is... I already have a B.A. in Art (dont ask me how i got in to programming). I am a little confused at the diff between ADN, BSN, and MSN degrees. Its been 10 yrs since I've been in school, Since I have to leverage my current job with school when I go back.. i'd like to make the transition as quickly and easily as possible.

Once you are an RN does it really matter if you have as associates degree or a Bachelors degree? How much of a jump is it to go from an RN to an NP?

Any insight is def appreciated.
    thanks

Re: Trying to enter the field

Good question. Many schools have a "bridge" program. If you have a BS in other than nursing, you can go directly into a masters level program (NP, PA, etc) without the BSN. I am getting an ADN degree and have a BS. I don't know if I'll go on, but it has been offered. Good luck!

Re: Trying to enter the field

I would talk with a counselor at a local college and find out what you would have to do to in order to do the BSN. Like the above poster stated, most have a bridge program to where you dont have to take some of the courses that can carry over. I am a second semester ADN student and 56. Chose the ADN program because its quicker. And since there isnt much diff in pay between ADN and BSN unless you get into management level stuff. The local college here that offers the BSN has just announced they would have a new program starting next fall. It's a ADN to MSN program and takes 18 months to complete. They are 1 of 7 schools in Texas to offer this. Might be something for you to see if thats available where you are.

Have A Great Day And Be Safe

Jerry