Thread: Need interview help, please

Red face Need interview help, please

Hi. I am an RN with nearly 3 and 1/2 years clean/sober. My addiction was to benzodiazepines and narcotics. I am about to return to nursing, and have restrictions on my license and a 3-year probationary period. Here in TX, the restrictions include no narcs/keys for 1 year; no home health, ICU, L&D, ER, hospice, or tele; no OT, night shift, floating; must be directly supervised by another RN for 1st year; must work a minimum of 64 hours/month; must provide direct patient care. I'm starting with the numerous dialysis clinics in the area (which all seem to be owned by DaVita, for some reason...), and if that doesn't pan out, I'll try psych, rehab, LTC, etc. There's no nurse support group near me, and the few other nurses I know who are also in recovery kept the jobs they had when they went to rehab, so they can't really help with my problem, which I'll finally get to now:

I am petrified about disclosing my condition and restrictions to an interviewer. I just don't know how to do it. I have been advised to interview normally, and not to disclose my restrictions until later, when I am offered or am being seriously considered for a position. That part makes sense, as it is usually best to lead with one's strengths. My biggest problem, (and to me this sounds so stupid, but I'm really hung-up over it) is I don't know HOW to introduce the topic. I mean the actual words I should use. I have a very hard time discussing my situation with those outside my family or friends; I get very flustered and tongue-tied when I tell someone that I'm a recovering addict. While I'm not trying to hide it, it's still not something I tell everyone I meet, so it's hard to become practiced at it.

I would be extremely grateful for any and all suggestions, and would really love to hear about your experiences, good or bad [but mostly good! ]

Thank you all so much, just for being here. There is strength in numbers!

PS: If anyone knows of any recovery-friendly employers in the Conroe, TX area, please let me know!

Re: Need interview help, please

I understand exactly how you feel. The reason we become addicts in the first place was because of just this kind of discomfort and anxiety in any type of social situation. I also used benzos,narcs and alcohol to get me through these nervous times. I have only been clean for 35 days now but I have already had to deal with this situation with my present employer. What I found was my attitude about the situation projected into the other person's opinion. Go into your interview with confidence and when you do have to disclose the fact that your a recovering addict let them know that you are a good nurse and you chose to get the help you needed. Tell them you have worked very hard for 3 1/2 years to keep your life on track and now you are ready to return to your role of helping others as a nurse. If you sound confident and capable in your interview that will go a long way. Remember to be PROUD of your accomplishments in recovery.