Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I'm new .......and maybe kinda dumb:(

Hi, I\'m new .......and maybe kinda dumb:(

Hi, I'm new. I found your site while sitting at my computer crying because I just failed my GI test. I was looking for something to inspire me not to quit. I studied all week. I thought I had it down. I had spring break last week and instead of going out, I studied. I made myself 12 pages of notes, Completed my study guide and answered about 300 Nclex questions on this topic and still I ended up with a 68. A 68!! I couldn't believe it. I'm great in clinical. I can pass skills one on one with a professor watching my every move and I can't pass a test that I've studied so hard for. I want this more than anything but something is obviously very wrong with me. I wish I could just quit and never look back. I have a Diabetes and PVD exam on Monday and I'm wondering...should I even bother?

Re: Hi, I\'m new .......and maybe kinda dumb:(

First of all..you are not dumb. If you were, you wouldn't have made it this far in nursing school. Second..what do I not know about your testing? Is this state boards you are referring to? I never knew the boards to be split up in sections, unless if you are talking about the pencil and paper test. If it is the paper and pencil test, just remember one thing that always did me in on my tests. Do not change your answers. Go with your instincts and don't go back to change things. More often than not, you change it to the wrong answer. I took electronic boards in 1994 where you don't have the option to go back and I got kicked off the computer at 75 questions. That was my hell. I passed with the minimum number of questions, but was convinced that based off my paper test history that I had failed. Don't talk yourself into failure. Keep going and keep your head up. Good luck.

When I was in school, I found that not all of us were good at both skills and testing. Once you get through this and are able to build your skills, it will seem like a piece of cake and you will begin to wonder why you thought it was so hard. I'm not trying to say that what you are going through is not difficult, but the general stress of nursing school makes just about everything seem harder that it really has to be. I ended up on anti-anxiety med. until I finished school because I thought I was failing and I graduated with honors, so as stated above, keep going it will get better and you can do it!

Hi, Thanks for your vote of confidence. I am not taking the Nclex. I am still in school. This is my second semester of a 2 yr RN program. Although it takes 3-4 yrs to complete due to all of the pre-req's. Anyway, this is a MED-SURG semester and it is really kicking my butt. I feel like I understand the material but then I get my test grades only to find out I didn't do as well as I expected. The tests are all scantron multiple choice except for the final which is 100 questions fill in the blank. I am going to try and follow your advice regarding going with my first instinct. I usually leave them blank if I'm not 100% sure and then go back at the end. I found myself rushing with this last test and that may have been one of my problems. I also hate that I get really nervous when I see people turning their tests in when I'm barely half way through. I wish I knew of a different way to study because I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Have you ever looked up study tips online? I found some really good tips a while back when going back for BSN. Of course some of it is stuff I would probably not find helpful, but some very good tips. Here is a link to a great site:

http://www.studygs.net/

Hey Sparkysbird, trust me when I tell you that your not the only one in that boat. I am a second semester ADN student as well, and doing our med/surg. We just took our test over the respiratory system, and it was the hardest one we have had. Not to many people feel really good about this test, and we have the GI system in 2 weeks. I have an 80 average and my problem is still underdstanding the NCLX style of question. And so are a lot of others. We have a number of students who haven't passed a test yet either, and this is adding to their stress level. Have you tried getting together with a student who is doing good, but at the same time a really nice person who would be willing to study with you and help you. Good luck and keep the faith.

Have A Great Day And Be Safe

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I hate to hear that other people are as stressed as I am but on the other hand it's good to hear I'm not alone. There are many study groups in my class but the one's with the "smart" people have announced many times that there are already too many members. There's a really nice woman in that group though that always gives me their study guide. I have a diabetes test on Monday and I'm going to make sure I know everything and pray that I do really well. Good luck to you!

I forgot to thank you grapejam for the web site. I found it really helpful.

No problem. I am glad it was helpful. I need to use some of those tips for myself! I recently began back for my BSNand I take the crummiest notes! I have found that typing my exam review notes heps and I just study off of those typed notes then. The typing process (because I have to read what I already wrote in order to type) helps me get the info in my head and I have been doing much better on exams this time around than when I went through nursing school the first time around and didn't have a plan at all!

I can remember clearly freaking out the first time I did poorly on an exam that I thought I was prepared for.

I was crushed, disappointed and angry. After realizing it was only one test though, I resolved to do better on the next ones. Wasn't too proud to ask for a tutor or help from my fellow students. Got involved with a study group, which probably ended up being more of a social event, but we did study too.

The long and short of it was, for my most important test, my NCLEX, I can honestly say that I guessed on probably 70% of the questions. Was sure I had flunked it and sat at home waiting for my failure notice to come.

Turns out I did pass, along with the rest of my classmates that also thought they had flunked.

As long as you put your time in studying, and it sounds like you are, don't beat yourself up over a single test or even two. Get the help you need, reach out to available resources and they'll help you get through it.

Nursing school is stressful enough with the "perfection fetish" that most instructors have. Once you're graduated and working you'll find out that a lot of that stress was simply not necessary. In the meantime, give yourself some slack and focus on what you need to do.

For a glimpse at the real world, these case studies may help open your eyes a bit.
    http://www.nursingcasestudy.com

Also, peruse Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

There are some eye-openers.

Wish you luck,

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast