Thread: Contracts How legally binding?

Contracts How legally binding?

I recentley was offered an assignment(my first) accepted it verbally. The company sent the contract and I signed but the assignment details were wrong so they sent me a new contract which I have not signed yet. In the Mean time I might have the opportunity for a much better paying assignment.! So... am I bound by the orriginal contract? Still figuring all this out.

Re: Contracts How legally binding?

Legally, you're not bound if the location, shift, hours or department on the contract you signed, were not what you're going to be doing. Those details would make the original contract you signed null/void.

Ethically, it's not recommended that you change companies in the middle of a transaction. It is done though. If this is your first time dealing with the travel company, it is likely that they (and probably the facility) will not want to deal with you in the future if you now refuse to sign the second contract.

Your call. There are a lot of other facilities and companies out there.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

The first few days of a new assignment are the most important. If they have pulled a bait/switch on you and have you doing something totally different that you signed up for, address it immediately with both the agency and the facility, preferably in writing. If they are smart, they'll let you out of the contract, if they give you a hard time contact the American Association of Nurse Attorneys in your location and get some advice.

The American Association of Nurse Attorneys:"TAANA serves as a resource network and support group for nurse attorneys and educates the public on matters of nursing, health care, and the law."
    7794 Grow Drive Pensacola, FL 32514
    Toll Free: 877-538-2262, Fax: 850/484-8762
    Email: taana@puetzamc.com
    http://www.taana.org/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Make sure you read contract before signing to avoid problems. BUT,you are not obligated to this company, so, let them know and move on. There have been situations where a nurse has a contract but due to a problem , ie illness, family problem, that they have to cancel and the company can't do anything. They will try to threaten breach but they can't.
    Be careful next time.

Your first assignment, before doing an assignment, is to figure out exactly WHAT you want in your contract! Make sure those items are in your contract with your agency. Every contract can be modified. As you travel more, you will get abused, and add more things to it each new assignment. Read my thread on nurses needing better contracts....avoid older traver's mistakes! I'm hoping we can come up with some NATIONAL changes!