Thread: First Unionized Hospital In Texas !!!!!!!

Thumbs up First Unionized Hospital In Texas !!!!!!!

Re: First Unionized Hospital In Texas !!!!!!!

I have friends who work in California and I have heard NOTHING but horror stories about being a RN working in a union state. Rules and power trips that impair their ability to provide good nursing care. It is a very "me first" attitude. They have warned me for years that CNA wanted Texas.

If you don't like where you work, give notice and quite. Make sure they know why you left. Hosptials will eventually get the message or if you can't find somewhere you can deal, then perhaps the trouble isn't with the hospitals.

CNA go home.

Talking Did You Hear That Noise?

Did you hear that noise? It was the collective tightening of hospital executives sphincters across Texas.:banana:

Hopefully this is the first of many Texas hospitals that will go union and strike a blow to the arrogance and indifference of many executives, HR reps, and nurse managers. They have been playing fast and loose with their positions of power to strong arm nurses into less pay, more work, and monumentous responsibility with no authority for far too long. Admittedly winds of change will not blow across Texas overnight, but that little cool breeze I just felt sure is refreshing.:4:

Re: First Unionized Hospital In Texas !!!!!!!

I have just started my second and new career at a hospital in Reno, NV. While I was being recruited I learned that CAN was voted in and was negotiating a contract with hospital manglement. Because NV is a “right to work” state, it remains to be seen how much and what kind of clout the union will have with management. Talking with some of my new colleagues, I’ve found a disdain for unions (perhaps because they haven’t seen what a union can offer?).

As a lab tech/phlebotomist, I recently left a union shop in Santa Cruz CA. It was my first ever experience with a union (albeit the SEIU Healthcare Workers), I will say I did see direct benefit from the contract: 30 min comp for missed breaks, short-call pay, et al. The nurses had even greater benefit due to their CNA contract: 2x pay for double-back, 1.5x for short call (or was it 2x pay? Don’t remember). Also most notable recently, CHW (the hospital ‘parent’) unilaterally, and despite the contract – changed the health care benefits that required employees to change the primary care providers. The uproar from the CNA membership was immediate. The mere threat of a non-strike picket in front of the institution brought management to the bargaining table very quickly to solve the issue.

Hospital management (above the immediate supervisor, and in my case, above the dept manager) seemed to have disdain for the working folk. E.G., in my own limited experience , two examples: last fall several of us lab techs received Certified-return-receipt letters sent to our homes from HR. These letters were written in the most impersonal and demeaning terms, telling us that our job descriptions required us to provide copies of our drivers license and auto insurance declarations. (NONE of us had ever been so advised at time of or after hire, and some of my colleagues were there >20 years!) the letter then demanded that we immediately provide the information or be summarily suspended or fired. It is also notable that the envelope addressing, letter addressee heading, and greeting were parsed – in all capital letters – by surname then given name. The letter was signed by the director of HR who apparently prepared the letter and who, IMHO has the human sensitivity of a slug (ok, the last was an editorial comment).

This scenario was repeated in later letters, couched in language more appropriate for juveniles, threatening suspension without pay for failure to renew professional certification.

It is especially notable that HR failed to address a far more diplomatic path through the department manager and further failed to recognize that the individuals with who she was dealing were responsible professionals.

The issue was taken to the SEIU for formal protest for the lack of decorum.

Given the poor pay here in NV, I look forward to see and am hopeful for what the CNA can do.
    Jim / newbie RN

Thumbs up Re: First Unionized Hospital In Texas !!!!!!!