Thread: Surgical Masks

Surgical Masks

I have been doing OR observations recently, and it appears to me that many do not wear their masks correctly. When I asked about this, most seem to see masks as only necessary to protect the patient. Many are also aware that masks are ineffective at doing this so they prioritize their own comfort. I also find the surgeons more cavalier in their attitude than the nurses, and therefore more likely to wear their masks incorrectly.

I have recently taken on a project to improve masks and their ability to protect both patients and the OR staff. I would love any feedback about what you think about masks, how well they work, what you like or don't like, things you've seen, tricks you know, or anything you feel would improve masks.

Smile Re: Surgical Masks

most of the research in the past decade or so shows that the only person protected by OR masks is the wearer. Scandanavian resarch study indicated that the patients were just as safe from staff when the masks were not worn. Most of the protective equipment used in the OR performs a useful service, shoe covers and masks however, apparently are not. I wish I could tell you where that study was published, but I have long forgotten. You can check out the CDC site and the OSHA sites for some research info. Good luck on your study

Re: Surgical Masks

We actually have pictures by the scrub sinks on how to wear a mask, along with written rules. This came about when an x-ray tech took to cutting the strings off and sticking the mask to her nose with Scotch tape. She might as well had walked in the room with nothing on her face instead.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

I've heard about this study myself jadegypsy. I didn't believe it at first when our Director told us about it but it seems that it may be true. Strange.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by MereSanity View Post
    I've heard about this study myself jadegypsy. I didn't believe it at first when our Director told us about it but it seems that it may be true. Strange.
    If you and/or your Director can find anything on this, could you please share it with us?