Thread: need advice

need advice

i've been in the volunteer recovery program for almost one year. i was notified recently that i had a random screen come back positive, which was a surprize to me. i am contesting it and requesting it be tested again. should i seek legal advise? my case worker usually doesn't call me back or really answer questions i have. i am confused as to why i would be allowed to continue working if i had this positive screen? i also noticed on my copy of the paperwork for this screen that a split specimen was not done...so what are they going to retest? i have heard stories of false-positive tests, but never really paid it much mind...i thought people were billsh*&ing about these things happening. has anyone had similar experiences? does anyone just have some advice?

Re: need advice

I'd definitely hire an attorney. You'll find the state board of nursing has a very different attitude when they know a lawyer is watching their every step.

Going before the board is intimidating enough. Don't make the mistake of trying to defend yourself without help.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

There have been people in my diversion group who have had a positive test or a test with low Creatinine. In cases where a false positive has occurred that can not be explained You demand a hair folicle test for Etg. Lot's of things can make a sample come up positive Using balsamic vinegar, Waterless hand cleaners like Purell are 60% alcohol. Eating a dish in a resturant that had alcohol used in it's preperation, even mouthwash. The trick is to eliminate anything that contains any alcohol at all. When you give a sample do you watch them split the sample and keep the chain of custody copies. This is very important. I don't think you need an attorney yet. Far better that you talked to your sponsor and reviewed steps one, two and three. If indeed you are not using the truth will out. Remember the greatest enemy of the alcohol/addict is riotious anger. But you don't have to roll over either. If your case manager is not helping you or answering your Questions then you need to ask for a new one. Mine is very good at acting as my advocate.

Because of the fact that diversion is voluntary and that the diversion boards are looking for honesty, openess and willingness. They are likely to see any legal action you take as a sign of relapse behavior - the next thing you know your stuck in in-patient. You need to find out what the level was. If it is low it might well be an accidental exposure so just don't let it happen again.

I know this sounds hard to accept but because you are in this voluntarily and probably have signed a contract to do anything they ask you have to go with the flow. Anyway you can demand a HAIR test but you'll probably have to pay for it out of your pocket. About $200.00 bucks the last time I checked.

Peace and God Bless

A happy grateful alcoholic

God bless you all, and keep your head up. Please remember WHO your higher power IS!!!! You might want to add to your arsenal of programs, the "Celebrate Recovery" program which was started by the same guy who started the "Purpose Driven Life" movement... go to http://www.celebraterecovery.com ,

God Bless you all!

Tracy

Definately get it retested. Of course it will be at your expense. Good luck