Thread: Proper charting

Proper charting

I'm currently working in a nursing home in Florida as a LPN. Can anyone tell me if you're allowed to mention another nurses full name while charting on a resident/patient?
    Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Proper charting

sure why not if it applies to what you need to chart...if it's something that goes in a varience report then it's a bit different.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

This post may be old as dirt, but NO! NO! NO! You do not mention ANYone by name in the chart, unless you have contacted the HCPOA/family member 'in charge' of patient. The State would have a field day up here...... :mad:

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    This post may be old as dirt, but NO! NO! NO! You do not mention ANYone by name in the chart, unless you have contacted the HCPOA/family member 'in charge' of patient. The State would have a field day up here...... :mad:
    Sure you can mention another nurse by name in the chart if it applies to what you did in patient care. You wouldn't chart what you were told by another nurse ie "S. Jones RN says pt told her she had pain level 8 blah blah that's what you should assess yourself. Maybe the other nurse was in the room and came and told you "your pt want meds" but that's not to chart their name. But if you are doing something say PICU you can put extubated @1300 by S Jones RN or retraints applied by: not that you wouldn't check those yourself. No writing S Jones RN did not give 1500 medication so I'm giving it now, or Pt says S Jones didn't listen to her lungs today. But there is a time you can put someones name.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

To be honest, my classmates and I had been 'advised strongly' against this practice by an instructor who is also a legal nurse consultant. The whole point was not to invite further litigation.

No, you should not chart a nurse's name in the chart. I usually will chart, "reported from ll-7 nurse..............or nurse on duty........, called to room by CNA.....something to that nature.