Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC traveling

NYC traveling

AHHHHH!!! I am so frustrated! Let me begin with a hello. I am brand new to traveling and really want to go to NYC. I have been talking to 4 companies about it and have been meeting a lot of walls due to lack of positions and high cost of housing. So, FINALLY last Friday I had a phone interview with a nurse manager from Beth Israel hospital and I just looked at some HORRIFIC posts on here about that place. I am also turned off b/c it has PBDS testing. But I have been looking for a month now for a position there and I need/ want to be there by June 1st(ish). I don't want to take a position out of pure desperation but I am afraid another won't come along...
    Any advice/info/tips??
    Thanks so much!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: NYC traveling

Go with your gut- if it sounds like a bad assignment, it probably is. You're better off taking an assignment somewhere else than taking it and being miserable or putting your license at risk....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

What is your specialty?
    If it's med surg tele, you will be slammed and it's not worth the stress. It is not a friendly place.
    Columbia Presbyterian is a good place.

ICU. I am talking with the nurse manager again tomorrow. When I spoke with her the first time I actually got a good vibe, but I am still really worried...
    We shall see. There are no other postings in NYC at this time and that's with 4 companies working on it. So I am debating on taking this one if it's offered to me and sucking it up for 13 weeks...I can deal with pretty much anything for 13 weeks...I hope. Then I will look for something better once I am there if it is awful.
    I am actually more worried about the stupid PBDS...ugh.

I just got a job at Sloan
    kettering in the ICU. At first there were no positions available except at the hospitals i didn't want to go to like Mount Sinai or Beth Israel. So I waited it out and after about 3 weeks, I got this job. Pay isn't very good, but I was able to negotiate 3200 for a stipend. And there is no floating at all! And dont worry about the PBDS, i did them in San Fran and they didnt even really look at them at all, and they were pretty easy.

Really? I have heard nothing but horror stories about them!! Do you have any tips or could you tell me the types of scenarios were involved? I feel so umprepared for this and have serious test anxiety!!!
    Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire

Did you get the study guide I e-mailed to you??? It covers pretty much everything that is on the PBDS....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

ICU, well you should only get 2 patients.
    The horror stories seemed to be med surg.
    Asked your recruiter if you can speak with a nurse that has worked at Beth Israel in ICU.

Sounds like you are going, so good luck.

I did get the study guide Amanda, thanks so much! I totally thought I sent you a thank you reply, I must have forgotten to? Well, again thanks so much it looks helpful. Keep ya posted on how it goes!

Unhappy Re: NYC traveling

Hi,

I too am new to traveling and my husband has temporarily relocated us to NYC and I have also come across the same problems as you! I was wondering how your search was going. I interviewed with Beth Israel on a Step down unit and when I called the floor to ask the charge nurse some questions it sounded like a nightmare. Now, I know that it can get crazy on the floor, but the clerk couldn't even get me to the charge nurse. I also emailed the manager some questions about her unit and the way that it is run, but she couldn't possibly take time out to answer them. Needless to say, I turned down that contract. I don't know what company you are with and I have both American Mobile and Cross Country looking and American Mobile is looking quite helpless. I was speaking with one recruiter and all of a sudden a new recruiter called and I was basically back at square one with her asking me what kind of nurse I am and blah. Let me know what happens and I'll try to update you as well!

Lost Nurse in NYC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast