Thread: American Mobile

American Mobile

They for some reason were last on my list cuz they seem to be the "big dogs" of travelling.

I've heard my friends say that their staff is impersonal, and I read on one forum that they tell you one thing, and you end up getting another (pay rates, etc) I know all about getting verbal agreements written in your contract and what-not..

They also have a lot of companies that are branched from American Mobile, right?

If you've used them, let me know what your experience was! They're working w/my hospitals-of-choice...and the hospital I work at now said they hire a lot of travellers thru them.. (and the hospital i'm at now is a good one to work at)

Thanks!
    Alicia, RN

If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    -Emily D.
    :rose:

Member Extraordinaire

Re: American Mobile

I have not worked with American Mobile, but have not heard good things about them.... There are a lot of reviews about them written by other travelers in our reviews section- you should check them out...
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I currently work with AMN and have only one small issue. The furniture they rented for my apartment is poor quality. I have researched, however, and found that AMN really didn't have much of a choice for rental places. I'm in Little Rock, AR and there are only 3 furniture rental companies and they all have poor quality furniture. There are also very few apartments to rent that are furnished that accept pets, which I have. The only other issue I see right now is that they do not want to negotiate on $$$$$. I have a wonderful recruiter who goes above and beyond to help me. So, to me this is what makes AMN a good company to work for.

Don't sign up with American Mobile!!!
    I worked with them for one assignment (my first). They have the worst pay rate. If you compare several companies, you will see that they have the lowest bonus amount when a facility offers a bonus for completion or sign on. They do have multiple branches of their company, so watch out for that. too. My recuiter was good, but when they shorted me nearly $1000 out of my check just before Christmas and I lost it. Their plan was just to put it in my next check in two weeks. I feel if there is that big of a difference, they should and can dispense a check upon notification. They charged me a deposit fee for my housing of $300. They didn't return it until I contacted them. I did get the deposit back, but two months after my assignment ended.
    They have a great advertisement team and their company starts with an "A", so they are one of the first agencies you will come into contact with. They should absolutely be the last one you sign up with.

I was with American Mobile on my first assignment which I just broke. Terrible facitlity they sent me to. Start dates continued to get put off so I had no choice but to take the one that came available. American Mobile is a very large company. They own RN Magazine and RN.com. I feel bad for breaking my contract but the facility I was sent to didnt beleive in Team Nursing. I dont even think they knew what that was. Facility didnt use good infection control measures. I was doing a sterile dressing change on a trach patient who was on a vent and had MRSA. I was gowned, gloved, masked, etc. But guess what? No bed bags. I asked where to put my dirty dressing materials and was told to put it in the "soiled diaper" bag. I was in shock.
    I was asked to pass meds on 40 patients..no problem but in order to get med pass done, I had to start it at 645 and got thru at 1040. Breaking the nurse practice act is not my idea of "a dream job". Stayed sick the whole time..the lst goes on and on. I finally decided to leave last week 3.5 weeks early. Sounds crazy I know but I was staying sick all the time. I was so afraid for my license. So yeah, stay away from American Mobile. They are worse than car salesmen........on selling you a position.
    Susanne

I am currently on my first travel assignment with American Mobile. They are a good group of people, and yes you do deal with more than your recruiter initially. However once on assignment, I did appreciate my recruiter calling me on a weekly basis checking up on me. Had no problems with pay or with them paying for what they offered. Best travel advice I've ever received was "do your homework".......take time to research not only the company, but ask questions from others who have traveled. Your contract is your bible. When you interview for a job cover your bases. The travel nurse company simply gets the job, but as a nurse it is our job to know exactly what we are going into. I went on board with 4 different companies, all of them encouraged me to ask plenty of questions while interviewing, all gave me pointers on questions to ask. American Mobile got my contract because they were the most persistant in getting me a job. I would take another contract with them again if they can get me where I want to go.

I have worked with folks from American Mobile that made just over half what I was getting paid. It would take a fool to work for them. Opinionated, yes. But this is the truth. Avoid them and Cross Country unless you just work for the fun of it.

I worked with Medical Express which is a branch of AM on an assignment last year in Miami and was beyond impressed with the whole assignment. My recruiter called me every Friday and emailed me during the week. Housing went out of their way to find me where I wanted to live since I travel with my husband and children. I cannot say anything bad about my experience with Medical Express except they did not always have contracts in the locations I wanted to travel to.