Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back In Business

Re: Back In Business

Quote Originally Posted by OldSquidNewNurse View Post
    I had the same instuctor last fall and dropped the course. I waited a year to get back into the program (I had take this course before moving on to the next one), and low and behold I got stuck with the same one. I've been trying to help my classmates, but not all of the questions on the tests are the same as last year. Out of 35 people to start with, only 20 of us were in class yesterday. I believe 8 people have dropped the class as of yesterday.
    I feel for you and your classmates; my wife is currently in her first semester of LPN school, she came home in tears after a test last week, she said she felt like she was going to fail. the next day for that class she found out the highest grade in her class on that exam was a 75% and guess who got it? (she and her study partner did. [They sit on opposit sides of the room by the way.])

Just for giggles and to see what she was complaining about I stood in the hall for half of her class one day listening to the instructor talk, I had a VERY HARD TIME following her ramblings with obscure refferances to different variables as related to drug halflife as refferenced to absorption outside distrobution factors with differing factors of pKa, Cmax, Tmax and AUC. When someone would ask her to explain a term she was using she just told them "It's in your books. Didn't you do your assigned reading?" This is a class of 22 people; started with 30, you can't tell me she can't waste time explaining how protine kynase relates to the time a drug stays in a cell and that it uses the ATP cycle to remove said drug from the cell AKA: active transport.

The instructor sent the test home as homework for them to FIX the answers and return it. My sister and my mother are both nurses as well as myself, it took all four of us with our combined knowledge and resourses to figure out some of the ?'s, thats over thirty years of experience in nursing and we still had to struggle with it. One of the questions I took to a Pharmacist who is a friend of mine and all he could do is scratch his head at it with a promise to call some friends from school and ask obout it also. this and that all thrown at a group of people who just six weeks ago were as dumb as rocks where drug interactions and reactions are concerned. My pharmasist friend called me two days later with the answer to the ? and said it took him that long to find the answer, It was an obscure reaction that occures in chemo-therapy Tx of some non-Hodgkins lymphoma sufferers (not even mentioned in the pharm text)

And you think you have a BAD instructor.

The same instructor asked my wife where she got the answers to some of her questions and she told her the truth.

P.S. We didn't get the proper answers for 1/3 of the missed ?'s these the instructor scratched from the exam bringing my wifes score up to a 82% still leaving the majority of the class in the low 70's. My wifes study group has grown quite a bit with some of the ladies and one gent showing up with food and the works. It has been a pot-luck at my house for the last two weekends. They even did the dishes! :confused:

Keep your head screwed on tight and remember, School dosn't last for ever.:clock:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

School may not last forever, but some of the teachers that should be let out to pasture sure do. :27:

Quote Originally Posted by orionseal View Post
    Keep your head screwed on tight and remember, School dosn't last for ever.:clock:
    LOL...I've been in college since 1990, so it's close for me. Still in all this time my current instructor is the worst one ever.

Some of my classmates are on the verge of mutiny.

SoldierNurse...I don't think this is against HIPPA, but my patient next week was Pres./Gen Eisenhower’s personal aid during WWII.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

LOL...I've been in college since 1990, so it's close for me. Still in all this time my current instructor is the worst one ever.

Some of my classmates are on the verge of mutiny.

SoldierNurse...I don't think this is against HIPPA, but my patient next week was Pres./Gen Eisenhower’s personal aid during WWII.
    Very interesting! BTW, no names mentioned. Therefore, no HIPPA violation.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    Very interesting! BTW, no names mentioned. Therefore, no HIPPA violation.
    He talks with great pride what his role was. The unfortunately he has vascular dementia and is on the hospice service. From what he said, Patton always requested that he drive him to his plane when ever he was meeting Ike.

Well the final is tomorrow and I have an 87% average going in, so I like my chances of passing. The school has confirmed that it will be offering year round courses starting next summer, which means I should graduate early Aug09!

Started OB this week.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Which means you passed that class. Any word on the final score?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Which means you passed that class. Any word on the final score?
    87% Got an 86% on the final, and even if I can gotten 100% I would have still only gotten a "B" and my program typically will not give +/- so I'm stuck with a "B" for the course.

87% Got an 86% on the final, and even if I can gotten 100% I would have still only gotten a "B" and my program typically will not give +/- so I'm stuck with a "B" for the course.
    Better a "B" than somthing else.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast