Thread: Working on Probation as LPN

Working on Probation as LPN

I have been an Lpn for 35 years. This is all I know. I will graduate with a BSHA on June 29th with the aspiration of becoming an administrator in a LTC facility. Those aspirations may be knocked down with the BD of NURSING. I was in the right place at the wrong time and stayed too long. I will inevitably need to work in another environment without patient care. I know I may have to relocate. It will add an expense I cannot afford but I have to survive this tragedy. Please forward information ASAP! I will see a doctor on May 19th for an evaluation. If I can help someone else I am willing and able. Does anyone know if this can stop a person from pursuing the RN?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Working on Probation as LPN

Well, you're pretty vague about why the board of nursing will be restricting your license, and why you're being evaluated by a doctor- so it's kind of hard to give any kind of advice or information....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I do not mean to be vague about anything. I went home to see my family and my sisters and I smoked marijuana. When I got back to work, I found out 30 percocets were missing from a medcart i rotated on. Although the administration knew who took the blister pack, all nurses on all three shifts had to be tested. I thought nothing of it, sinc I was not familiar with marijuana. My sisters told me to take a supplement called Golden Seal, which I did. I tested positive and have a review in July for disciplinary action. I have read the public records of others after I was told about the public records. I have no doubt I will be on probation, if not revoked. I have never had an infraction on my license. When i told my sisters, they laughed and said "What do you want us to do about it? You should have known!" they have never had to be responsible, because they have been on welfare all their lives. I feel like committing suicide because I feel My life is over. I am 57 years old!

Wow, at your age it is definitely not a great time have to change careers. Do keep in mind that there are a lot of roles away from the bedside that you can perform if you have to.

With luck, you'll finish your probation without a hitch and that will be the end of story.

The state board of nursing usually decides on a case by case basis. Same as if you have a drunk driving conviction, etc. It is not an automatic disqualification, but it will need to be considered.

Hope things work out for you.

Do stop by the "impaired nurse" forums for more advice/discussion.
    http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f24/

Hope things work out for you.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Usually, in most states, you will have to go through an evaluation by what ever agency monitors these things. You may be required to attend a drug treatment program and have a probationary period on your license. It is unlikely that you will lose your license unless there is a repeat offense. You may have to have drug screens for a period of time, also. Just be honest. You have not totally ruined your life..you have, however, learned a valuable lesson.

Depends on the state but probably have to attend drug rehab classes.
    I've seen it happen to Dr.s and they get back to work and surgery.

Be Positive and Call the Board to see what kind of work you can do now.
    I don't think you are too old to change careers.....

If your review date isnt until july then dont be surprised if it gets rescheduled a couple times. They are in no hurry. It could take 6 months or 3 years. Ive learned that at least 75% of the nurses who get disciplined are actually great at what they do and others that are awful at nursing are good at sucking up and that saves them. Either way you need to call the legal office for the board of nursing in your state and ask for further info.

Wink Re: Working on Probation as LPN

Hope that in the elapsed time that the OP was able to resolve this in a positive manner. Best wishes sent her/his way.