Thread: Legal Issues/Advice

Legal Issues/Advice

Hi,
    Has anyone out there faced criminal charges as well as BON charges? If so, how did it turn out and do you all have any advice?
    ~rhi

Re: Legal Issues/Advice

I personally do not, but while in the CA BRN diversion program, two nurses in my support group did. In one case, the county DA pressed charges for diverting narcotics, she received a felony conviction and served time on house arrest. The other, lived in a different county, where the DA said he would drop all charges if she successfully completed diversion.

Re: Legal Issues/Advice

The best advice I can give is find a good lawyer who has worked with the BON before. As part of the Practice Commission for out state nursing association I used to attend the open meetings of our BON. It always amazed me how many nurses did not have a lawyer or did not appear in person at the BON meetings that decided their fates. And a lawyer who hadn't ever worked with the BON before was pretty much useless.

Wink Re: Legal Issues/Advice

I had two felony counts for fradulently obtaining narcotics back in 1999. I did a year probation through deferred procescution, and afterwards all charges were dropped. I was in NC. I was represented by public attorney. Hope this helps.