Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance Based Development System(PBDS)Testing

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    Here is a link to the PBDS study guide:
    Free PBDS Study Guide
    Is there a PBDS study guide for NICU? The one on this link is for adults. Anyone know what kind of scenarios they use for NICU??? I have to take this test next week.

Does anyone know if there is a nicu study guide. The link to the study guide is for the adult test.

With regards to PBDS I am not willing to subject myself to accepting a travel assignment that is contingent on me passing a test that is administered in the first day or two. The test is subjective I do fear the unknown and honestly think that ones credentials certifications and references should be enough. The sole purpose of this test when it was initially comprised was to assess each RN's level of critical thinking skills upon hire and then review areas of needed improvement with the results of their test. This test was not comprised to be utilized as a tool to fire or hire a nurse.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Desert, I hear ya on the subject. Unfortunately, it seems like people ARE hired/fired over the test.

This link does not work
    Help?

Does anyone have a current link to PBDS study guide for Med/Surg? Thank you!

No current links that I know of. Last I heard, it's copyrighted, and we don't need legal problems.

http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/t...test-and-links

OK....did find this: http://www.zimbio.com/Nursing/articl...at+Is+The+PBDS

How Do I Prepare For The PBDS?

Before we discuss how to prepare, let' first focus on the good news. To qualify as a traveler, you must have at least 1 year current experience in your area of specialty. In all likelihood, you have several years experience. So, you know your job, the typical patient population you serve, and the disease processes you will encounter in your specialty. While taking the PBDS, you will be able to call on this experience to guide you through.

While taking the PBDS, you will have to consider all aspects of the nursing process. For example: You will be shown a video simulation. You will be expected to identify the problem, determine what you believe the physician will order based on the information provided, and assess what interventions you will need to take and prioritize them in order of importance. You will need to do all this while giving consideration to patient safety, use of equipment, team building, customer satisfaction and any potential conflicts that might arise and how to resolve them.

The test also focuses on what a prudent nurse must do, should do, and could do in a given situation.

When answering the questions, remember to write down every step you would take to promote the best outcome for the scenario. For example: Your patient's morning blood sugar level is 40. Your patient is cold, pale, diaphoretic, anxious, and experiencing nausea. You would probably: put the patient in bed, give some orange juice, notify the physician, hold the morning glucophage, order another blood glucose level, and document the care. Remember all steps...it is usually the small routine actions that get overlooked. Think in terms of a step by step manner and your rationale for each step.

Refresh your memory on traditional patient diagnoses that you would see in your specialty area. Start with the head and work down, covering all systems and related disease processes.

Also think of some interpersonal scenarios' that might occur in your department: What would you do if you witnessed another nurse being verbally abusive to a patient. How would you respond if your charge nurse asked you to orient another nurse?

*** The PBDS does not use multiple choice questioning***

Remember to remain calm, take deep breaths and rely on your nursing knowledge and experience. Just trust yourself and don't let anxiety get the best of you.

I have been a nurse for over 30 years, traveled for many of them. I refuse to take the PBDS test as I see it as a slap in the face to experienced nurses. So I just don't go to those hospitals (and i see it as their loss) and I have ever had any problem finding assignments in areas I want to go. I know more travelers than not feel the same way I do. Some nurses don't mind, but I am one who feels that my resume and experience stands for itself. I do not need to prove myself to anyone because as a traeler, it's a prove you are competent test. PBDS was forst brought about for permanent staff to find their weaknesses that can be addressed during their orientation. It was never intended to age a traveler, as we don't orient to a job, we already KNOW the job. If we didn't, we would have a trail of cancelled contacts behind us and would be unable to place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12