Thread: Compact State Nurse Requirements

Compact State Nurse Requirements

I am trying to get started on my 1st travel assignment. Was accepted for a position but have not signed the contract yet because I have yet to receive the paperwork for licensure from that state's board. It is a non-compact state. (A friend in that state has told me it can be frustrating waitng to ever get a permit/license so you can actually go to work). For this reason, I want my 1st assignment to be in a compact state so I can start to work quickly, and that seems to be very doable with the openings told me in those compact states.

So my question is this: I am a resident of Texas and that is where I have practiced for 26+ years. I have read the legalese of the compact state agreement and cannot find simple language to explain exactly what is required for me to go to work in a member state of the compact state agreement.

***TX Board says over the phone: "Show up at the travel assignment facility. They will ask to see your TX License, will verify it is the real deal, and that you are in good standing....that is all there is to it. That's how the compact state agreement is set up. You simply go to work."***

I hate to be negative but I am. Nursing made me that way from dealing with the state board for so many years.

Ok. You travelers out there....how does it work? Do you simply show up at the facility in the compact state?

Please be thorough but simple in your explanation.

Thanks!

Re: Compact State Nurse Requirements

that is exactly how it works. a little too easy I think. you don't even have to let the board know you're there