Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "GUY-101"

\"GUY-101\"

There are certain things electro/mechanical that females will never comprehend. The reasons for this lack of understanding are obscure to me. Over my career, I have found it has made me an invaluable assest to the nursing unit. Whenever something is non- functioning and I am summoned, it is usually something easily fixed. Once everything is back to normal, they invariably ask me what I did. I will never tell them exactly, but I do tell them I learned it in "GUY-101". What are your GUY-101 tips. I'll go first:

1) If an electrical device isn't working . . .check the on-off switch.

Re: \"GUY-101\"

Heh, Heh,

I love it. Granted there are some pretty clever female problem solvers among nurses. I have experienced similar situations from feeding to IV pumps, to beds to suction machines.

Sometimes I have to wonder if it out of laziness.

Kind of like when you have an IV team you can call to start IVs. You lose the incentive to try and start them yourselves.

When you have nurses with specialized skills in say starting Foleys, or IVs, or putting down NG tubes, others tend to ask you to do it, rather than attempt it themselves.

Not necessarily a good thing. Granted I can always use the ego boost when someone asks me to help them solve a problem. At times it is better to let them give their own brain cells a workout.

I've learned to say "no" on occasion (regardless of if I like the person or not).

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Member Extraordinaire

is it a guy skill? I get asked to solve the computer problems and the machine problems and I'm not a guy. Maybe it's a ask the person that can do it problem. I do have a brother who asks me to solve his computer screw ups also.

I hear all the time how men will not follow directions. I have found that many problems I solve for my supervisor (mechanical), I pull out the directions. When they asked me what did I do? I just say, "I read the directions". I do like the response "GUY - 101"

Member Extraordinaire

Here are some courses for men AKA Men 101:

Training Courses Now Available for Men

1. Introduction to Common Household Objects I: The Mop
    2. Introduction to Common Household Objects II: The Sponge
    3. Dressing Up: Beyond the Funeral and the Wedding
    4. Refrigerator Forensics: Identifying and Removing the Dead
    5. Design Pattern or Splatter Stain on the Linoleum?: You CAN Tell the Difference!
    6. If It's Empty, You Can Throw It Away: Accepting Loss I
    7. If the Milk Expired Three Weeks Ago, Keeping It In the Refrigerator won't Bring It Back: Accepting Loss II
    8. Going to the Supermarket: It's Not Just for Women Anymore!
    9. Recycling Skills I: Boxes that the Electronics Came In
    10. Recycling Skills II: Styrofoam that Came in the Boxes that the electronics Came In
    11. Bathroom Etiquette I: How to Remove Beard Clippings from the Sink
    12. Bathroom Etiquette II: Let's Wash Those Towels!
    13. Bathroom Etiquette III: Five Easy Ways to Tell When You're About to run Out of Toilet Paper!
    14. Giving Back to the Community: How to Donate 15-Year-Old Levis to Goodwill
    15. Retro? Or Just Hideous?: Re-examining Your 1970s Polyester Shirts
    16. No, The Dishes Won't Wash Themselves: Knowing the Limitations of Your Kitchenware
    17. Romance: More Than a Cable Channel!
    18. Strange But True!: She Really May NOT Care What "Fourth Down and Ten" Means
    19. Going Out to Dinner: Beyond the Pizza Hut
    20. Expand Your Entertainment Options: Renting Movies That Don't Fall under the "Action/Adventure" Category
    21. Yours, Mine, and Ours: Sharing the Remote
    22. "I Could Have Played a Better Game Than That!": Why Women Laugh
    23. Adventures in Housekeeping I: Let's Clean the Closet
    24. Adventures in Housekeeping II: Let's Clean Under the Bed
    25. "I Don't Know": Be the First Man to Say It!
    26. The Gas Gauge in Your Car: Sometimes Empty MEANS Empty
    27. Directions: It's Okay to Ask for Them
    28. Listening: It's Not Just Something You Do During Halftime
    29. Accepting Your Limitations: Just Because You Have Power Tools Doesn't Mean You Can Fix It

Hey epi. . . zuuup?

I agree with you on the handbook instruction thing. Whenever we get a new piece of equipment and the rep or the inservice "educator" is there, I will always grab the handbook to see what the thing can do for me. They design some pretty neat stuff into these devices. So I start asking them about this or that function and invariably they get this suprised look on their face and then you can't shut them up. All the girls want to know is a)How do you turn it on? b)How do you set it up? and c) How do you disable the alarms?

uh . . . cassioo. This is the "Male Nurse Form" and unless you know the secret handshake, we kindly request you keep your flaming posts to youself. We put up with enough of it at work.

Thank you, thank you very much.

O_S

Member Extraordinaire

that's not flamin post it's a fact post isn't it? I think I infiltrated and found out the secret handshake. Why do you put up with anything at work? Ok I'll keep my fingers quiet and be good as I always am.

removing info

We better never find out the guy that showed you the handshake . . .'cause if we do he has a serious hurtin' coming his way. Personally, I've only met 1 or 2 women in my 30 years that I would consider making an Honorary Male Nurse.

3) If the switch is on and it is plugged in . . . check the circuit breaker or the GFI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast