Thread: which branch of the military--with kids?

which branch of the military--with kids?

I am a wife and mom of 3 young boys (ages 2 thru 7). I'm also in my junior year of my BSN program. Recently I saw an advertisement for the Army Nurse Corps offering $114,000 loan repayment benefit...and more, in exchange for a 3 year contract. Though the offer is attractive, I am concerned about leaving my family. Can anyone tell me what the possibility of my being deployed or estranged from my family for any reason is? If I have to be deployed, or otherwise, what is the average time I would be away, and to what possible location?

Furthermore, is it true that, even though I may enlist for only 3 years, can I be called back to duty even after I've discharged?

If the army is not the best place for me to be with these concerns, which branch of the military is the most family friendly while still offering great benefits for nursing students/new grads?

Thanks in advance for your reply(s)!

Re: which branch of the military--with kids?

I would think there is a very good chance of you being deployed in the Army Nurse Corps.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Overseas deployments typically last 1 year; longer if you are accompanied by your family (depends on where you go). Given the US's current involvement in the Middle East as well as our continued presence in Europe and elsewhere, chances are pretty good that you'll get deployed somewhere. Once you complete the active duty obligation you go into the Individual Ready Reserve for a period of time (not sure how many years); you can be recalled from that to active duty.

Quote Originally Posted by akheraunpa@mac.com View Post
    I am a wife and mom of 3 young boys (ages 2 thru 7). I'm also in my junior year of my BSN program. Recently I saw an advertisement for the Army Nurse Corps offering $114,000 loan repayment benefit...and more, in exchange for a 3 year contract. Though the offer is attractive, I am concerned about leaving my family. Can anyone tell me what the possibility of my being deployed or estranged from my family for any reason is? If I have to be deployed, or otherwise, what is the average time I would be away, and to what possible location?

Furthermore, is it true that, even though I may enlist for only 3 years, can I be called back to duty even after I've discharged?

If the army is not the best place for me to be with these concerns, which branch of the military is the most family friendly while still offering great benefits for nursing students/new grads?

Thanks in advance for your reply(s)!
    As an Army nurse officer candidate you do not enlist. Rather, [take your three yr example] you have a [comittment] 3 yr ADSO, active duty service obligation, and total of 8 years MSO, military service obligation. Yes, after you served your ADSO can still be called back to active duty if you have not completed your MSO.

As an ANC officer you will get deployed from 6-12 months, or longer if extended. LOL, my 12 month deployment turned out to be a 15 month deployment. The highest need right now is Iraq.

IMHO, consider the AF... they have shorter deployments, better facilities, and treat military families better.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN