Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to become a nurse as a second career

Trying to become a nurse as a second career

Hello,

My girlfriend recently decided to change careers and is trying to become a Registered Nurse. She has been looking into schools and nursing programs within New York City but is having a very difficult time. She currently has a 4 year degree in liberal arts with an overall GPA of 2.6. Most of the schools she is applying to (State and City schools) require a higher GPA in order to get into their nursing programs. She has worked professional for the last 15 years but her life experience does not seem to hold any weight in applying. Can anyone help? What other options may she have? Are there any vocational schools that she could apply to?

She is a different person and student then she was when she was first in college and it is a shame that she is having this much difficulty pursuing another career because of her grades from 15 years ago.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ray

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Trying to become a nurse as a second career

Maybe if she made an appointment to speak with one of the counsellors or spoke with someone in the Nursing School Department?

Thanks for the response. She has spoken to a few people and the problem is they only take so many students per semester and their only means of deciding who to take is based on the students GPA. The general recommendation is to take classes that would satisfy the prerequisites so she can make her case to the Nursing department that she is no longer the same student as the one for years ago with the hopes that their take her. This helps but she was trying to avoid as much school as possible because finacially the sooner the better.

If anyone has anymore information it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again cougarnurse.

Ray

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I know what you mean though, especially about finances. But, if the school says take a few classes to make her case....so be it. Keep us posted on things, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rayray221 View Post
    Thanks for the response. She has spoken to a few people and the problem is they only take so many students per semester and their only means of deciding who to take is based on the students GPA. The general recommendation is to take classes that would satisfy the prerequisites so she can make her case to the Nursing department that she is no longer the same student as the one for years ago with the hopes that their take her. This helps but she was trying to avoid as much school as possible because finacially the sooner the better.

If anyone has anymore information it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again cougarnurse.

Ray
    I don't see how taking the prereq couses before being admitted to a program would hurt finacially, but then again things are pretty black and white in Michigan. She should be able to take her A&P, Bio, and other courses at a community college for example then transfer to a four year. Some community colleges offer full RN programs, which are just as good (some better, some worst) and four year programs.

Good Luck!
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

No such thing as a short-cut when it comes to Nursing, some will say, "just do this." but we all know (on the floor) who is cutting corners. these things are easy to track. Infection controle and such they WILL find you.

My point is, if she is serious the only way to prove it to the school is to accomidate the request to take some of the corerequesit classes to prove yourself.

I myself can say as a Former educator (Anatomy/Phis) our scientific knowledge doubles every 7 years so if she has been out of school 15 years that computes to her knowledge baseline is les than 1/4 that of a new grad. Add to that a lower than desirable GPA you can cut that in half to a base of about 1/8 that of currently enroled students.

Guess what they made me do. Go on guess.

Give up? = They made ME take anatomy and phis over because it had been 8 years for me and I taught it for 5 of those years"?".

It did do me one good turn, it got me into the swing of school life again. allowing me to test the waters and get comfortable with the intensity of the modern school scene. I wasn't overwhelmed by the intensity of the Nursing program. It was harder than most graduate programs out, but I now hold peoples lives in my hands every day at work.

Would you accept a LIFESAVER with a substandard education?

Don't answer that. Just think about it.

I am now a nurse who loves his job and wouldnt trade it for the world.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Quote Originally Posted by orionseal View Post
    No such thing as a short-cut when it comes to Nursing, some will say, "just do this." but we all know (on the floor) who is cutting corners. these things are easy to track. Infection controle and such they WILL find you.

My point is, if she is serious the only way to prove it to the school is to accomidate the request to take some of the corerequesit classes to prove yourself.

I myself can say as a Former educator (Anatomy/Phis) our scientific knowledge doubles every 7 years so if she has been out of school 15 years that computes to her knowledge baseline is les than 1/4 that of a new grad. Add to that a lower than desirable GPA you can cut that in half to a base of about 1/8 that of currently enroled students.

Guess what they made me do. Go on guess.

Give up? = They made ME take anatomy and phis over because it had been 8 years for me and I taught it for 5 of those years"?".

It did do me one good turn, it got me into the swing of school life again. allowing me to test the waters and get comfortable with the intensity of the modern school scene. I wasn't overwhelmed by the intensity of the Nursing program. It was harder than most graduate programs out, but I now hold peoples lives in my hands every day at work.

Would you accept a LIFESAVER with a substandard education?

Don't answer that. Just think about it.

I am now a nurse who loves his job and wouldnt trade it for the world.
    To add...it is my understanding that when using prior college credits for entrance into a program that some consider science credits older than five years to be expired. Thus, have to be retaken.

Thus, Ray I agree with others that your GF will most likely retake most of her courses with the opportunity to increase GPA.

Good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

There really are a lot of options when looking into going back to school. Since it has been 15 yrs since she has had school, I'm sure she will have to repeat some of the subjects and improve the gpa. Another thing to do is look into some online courses and do some of the subjects online and the clinical part will have to actually be in a facility. For some helpful info check out Hart Unlimited Ventures, LLC -- Home.

You need to be realistic when it come to nursing school.

We are in a shortage now, that is drawing more and more people to the field. At the same time, many nursing faculty are retiring or getting ready to retire. That means less faculty to teach. That means less available slots and longer waiting lists.

It is a sellers' market when it comes to nursing school. You'll need to produce what they are asking for. Take the pre-reqs if that is what is needed. Because, there are lots of other students prepared to do just that.

Many students are waiting "YEARS" on lists to get into nursing programs. That is the competition your girlfriend is up against.

I'm not saying it is impossible. I am saying there are very few shortcuts. Especially with her being Liberal Arts which is so different from a nursing curriculum and required courses.

Hope that is helpful.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Out of school for year and half...getting in depended on several factors. They want you to have as many classes out of the way so that you can concentrate of nursing. I had the 5 year rule..had to retake them all. It helped in a way because the higher the GPA the better chances to get in...got in on first try but I had every class out of the way besides the nursing. Most nursing classes only have so many slots to let people into..the best will make it into the program because they do not want you to fail. If your GF really wants to be a nurse, the she will have to do the time...trust me it will all pay off at the end. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast