Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to become a nurse as a second career

Re: Trying to become a nurse as a second career

My wife just started NUrsing School this past semmester and she was one of 20 students to be accepted out of 103 the lowest GPA in the correquasit classes was a 3.95 that dosen't meen overall just in the required classes to get in the course. so if your gal is still fretting about taking those classes over she better start hitting the books.
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Have your friend look into all sorts of programs.

My first degree was in Electrical Engineering. I really didn't like the field (it was chosen for me by my father....long story there). I adopted the philosophy of "2 - 0 and go".

I checked out schools. FCCJ has a nursing admit based on points using only the pre-reqs. Add to that points based on the NAT test. 5 extra/yr if you have been in a medical field (like my daughter who is a combat medic.....4 yrs @ 5/yr is 20 extra points).

I have been taking the pre-reqs online and just finished. The 'bottom' acceptance level of points in recent classes has been 185. Mine should be over 200 pts, so my overal GPA (now 2.6) is not as important as what I have done lately.

See if any of the NYC CC's have a point based program.

Quote Originally Posted by FLMomof5 View Post
    Have your friend look into all sorts of programs.

My first degree was in Electrical Engineering. I really didn't like the field (it was chosen for me by my father....long story there). I adopted the philosophy of "2 - 0 and go".

I checked out schools. FCCJ has a nursing admit based on points using only the pre-reqs. Add to that points based on the NAT test. 5 extra/yr if you have been in a medical field (like my daughter who is a combat medic.....4 yrs @ 5/yr is 20 extra points).

I have been taking the pre-reqs online and just finished. The 'bottom' acceptance level of points in recent classes has been 185. Mine should be over 200 pts, so my overal GPA (now 2.6) is not as important as what I have done lately.

See if any of the NYC CC's have a point based program.
    I see this is your first post. Welcome! Also, read your daughter is a combat medic. Outstanding! I help train Soldier Medic students at DCMT, FT Sam Houston, TX.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

My daughter trained (obviously) in San Antonio (Ft Sam)! She is on her 2nd tour. Due home end of next month. She will be out 3 months later. She is looking to finish her nursing education.

Thanks for the welcome! Searching the net....I am amazed at how many folks my age are going back to school for nursing. I was a Satellite Ops Officer in the Military and then worked for NASA. I hated it and have been programming Mainframe Computers for the past 16 yrs. I love programming.....it's that I am tired of the constant layoffs and tired of sitting in front of a computer all day long. I want some human interaction!!! LOL I raised 5 kids pretty much alone. I am looking forward to the transition. I should be accepted to the nursing program beginning this summer and graduate at the end of the following summer! Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FLMomof5 View Post
    My daughter trained (obviously) in San Antonio (Ft Sam)! She is on her 2nd tour. Due home end of next month. She will be out 3 months later. She is looking to finish her nursing education.

Thanks for the welcome! Searching the net....I am amazed at how many folks my age are going back to school for nursing. I was a Satellite Ops Officer in the Military and then worked for NASA. I hated it and have been programming Mainframe Computers for the past 16 yrs. I love programming.....it's that I am tired of the constant layoffs and tired of sitting in front of a computer all day long. I want some human interaction!!! LOL I raised 5 kids pretty much alone. I am looking forward to the transition. I should be accepted to the nursing program beginning this summer and graduate at the end of the following summer! Wish me luck!
    Of course, good luck!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12