Thread: How to protect your License?

How to protect your License?

Can any one give me some ideas on how to protect yourself when you are working in a facility that expects too much and will not back you?

Post How to protect your license

First and foremost, Documentation is the KEY. Remember that you hold a professional license and ONLY YOU must protect it...no one is going to do that for you. Keep a daily journal and write down ANY thing out of the normal flow of things. Some nurses keep a daily journal of each day's events, good or bad. This may help in case years later you end up as a witness on the stand, or if someone ever files a complaint on you to your state board. Note date, time, full names of all individuals involved, and note all pertinent information. Another KEY factor is that a nurse needs to practice the art of asserting onself when necessary while remaining professional and remaining considerate to those around you. The saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Try being congenial with your co-workers (make an effort to win them over and make them like and accept you...it doesn't sound as though this has been the case for you. Sometimes, you have to let down your pride and compromise of yourself in order to get people on your side. But you have to stick to it and give it a little time. If this doesn't work after a reasonable time, I recommend you look for another place to work. In other words, get out while you're ahead.

Re: How to protect your License?

Absolutely.... read this and never forget it
    Nurse's guide to malpractice & self protection

Re: How to protect your License?

I guess I wouldn't work there. Also, keep notes about what happened and who you notified. They can be used in court.
    R. Holt
    Holt Legal Nurse Consulting