Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any good experiences in LTC???

Re: Any good experiences in LTC???

You should work in this state they will whip you up and throw you in a nursing home if you aren't working and they don't care how sick ya might be. Walk on those fx legs. LOL
    I have not seen an ounce of gentleness/ kindness from anyone in the 2 1/2 years that I have been in this state. Everything is strictly task oriented. You give to me, no excuses for anything. You sick, your in bed oh well, where's my money. You lied. No one seems to realize that no one has control over any thing. I can't give you money if I am not working, I can't get a job if they are not hiring me, doesn't matter you said you would. LOL Small town, not many jobs, oh well. lol

I think a lot of this not hiring has to do with forcing people to work for them. plus getting bennefits. Fraud yes, and I thought slavery was abolished. But to deliberately fire some one so that they can be forced to work on a farm. seems like this should be a little illegal. Not the only thing this town does.

What a strange thread.

Well, I work in LTC and I love it. I am just going into RN school. I have been a CNA in LTC for 6 years and I love it. I have been going to school the whole time. I am not resting on my laurels. I am pretty sure I want to stay in LTC. I love that I know my residents. I also really enjoy the fact that they love me, too.

I hear it is career suicide to stay in LTC, but doesn't that depend on the career path you are following? What is whrong with folowing a career path in LTC? Someone has to do it and someone has to care.

I wish people were not so negative regarding LTC.

I worked in LTC for 14 years as an LPN went on to get the RN so that some day I could eventually become DON. Went to work in a hospital for the experience, had planned on working for a few years there then go back to LTC. Well didn't work out that way.
    Yes I did have some good experiences in LTC, worked in a retirement community for 2 years and we had such a great team, there were no decubes at all, the aides just followed my suggestions for prevention and we didn't have any. all three shifts got along for the most part and everything got down we didn't have to demand respect we just gave it and recieved it. another place I worked one nurse on each shift took responcibility for thier shift we talked to each other and divided what could be divided between the shifts. Worked well untill they brought in supervisers. lol Everything went down hill after that. the one good thing the sup had brainwashed the aides so bad that they were forcing fluids on end stage CHF pt's with 4+ pitting edema through out their body, and making them sit up for 2 hours in a chair, I mean a dying patient full of fluid. I would work with a patient for an enire shift to get them where they were calmed down enough to eat, able to bath and to rest, the next day I would come in and this superviser would get all the meds D/C'd and the patient would be so hyper they were out of control and full of skin tears on her arms from staff trying to hold onto her. Uh!

Ltc

I know this thread is old but I have to respond. I have worked in LTC for 7 years and in a hospital for 5 before that. It was in the hospital that I went to work every day worried about losing my license. I love LTC and plan to continue in the field until I am a patient there. Most hospital nurses do not make it in LTC.Is is not because they are not good nurses. They are geared to the hospital, taking care of people who are sick. When they come to LTC, they FREAK. Yes, the work load is more, 25 to 30 residents to one nurse where I have worked. But, these are stable patients. Or as stable as they can be for their age. Management does make a big difference in LTC. Talk to an ombudsman,(you will find the number in any LTC facility) to find a good facility. All LTC is not created equal. As for arm bands, put them on the elderly and you get skin tears. The facilities where I have worked, we had the patients picture on their MAR and it was kept updated. Hard to make a mistake that way.
    LTC is not for everyone. You have to love it. Working LTC does not make me less a nurse. I still take care of patients, give meds, start IV's, and work codes. I also know how to do in depth care plans, coordinate MDS's, supervise and evaluate staff, and go home happy. Who could ask for more?

I can say that yes, I have had good experiences in LTC. I will also say that in recent years the ability to be effective in that area has lessened. I have spent the majority of my 20 years n LTC, usually on the night shift. I have found that there it is possible to give some real from the heart care.

There is plenty to be done at night we don't sit around and talk about soaps and drink coffee all night. There are treatment, pills, and procedures. However, I have found a greater opportunity to be able to really 'be there' for the fearfull, the dying, and the chronically ill. There have been times when I have been able to give true bedside nursing that takes into account the 'whole' person, or the psyche if you will. It has been a place for me to practice a supportive relationship with my residents. Using communication at a level that is more than a nonchalant interaction. Being able to soothe, support, and uplift.

No I will never get rich and have more frequent periods of frustration. But I will never forget all those golden moments when 10 minutes and the smile and the grasp of a hand, be it resident or family seems to wipe away what came before.

So in terms of growth in a career, the goals of it should make your decision.

nightnurse85

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

So the thread is a bit old! We see the patients 'long term', thus the term 'Long term Care'. Yes, I may have been sworn at, scratched and hit, but once my demented residents get 'into' a daily routine, the results are priceless. An example? The deaf WW2 vet who would only let me do his treatment, no matter what shift I worked. The list could go on and on.....

I agree that I may not 'make money' like hospital nurses, but.....

WOW!!!! This is all I can say about this thread. We went from one end of the spectrum to the other. It is refreshing to see some positive attitudes from Misskitty and PattyO. I work in LTC and I love it. I believe your job is what you make it. If you believe all the worst things you hear, you will most definately hate the job. I have worked in two different LTC facilities.One was for profit and one was a county home.Both had their good and bad points. I did have 60 to 1 ratio and I also had 20 to 1 ratio. I always managed with the help of the team and am stronger for it. Right now,after going to school and getting my RN at age 46, I am a Restorative Nurse in LTC,responsible for the restorative programs of approx 340 patients and I love it. I love to see their progress and happiness at being able to perform a skill again thet they had lost. I never regreted choosing LTC. Again, your job,your satisfaction,is what you make it.

Bravo Nightnurse!!! It is all about the patients.

Cudos to you too cougarnurse!! There are many rewarding things in LTC as I am sure there are in any kind of nursing. That is why I became a nurse. By the way, in the facility I work now, a regular floor staff nurse makes more than the nurses in the local hospitals. The money is good but for me it is secondary. Check out Nursing 2004 July issue title "When is a table an Umbrella" These are two good experiences that happened to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast