Thread: Is It Time To Move On And Try Travel Nursing ?

Is It Time To Move On And Try Travel Nursing ?

Hi!

I have been lurking around this forum and reading your posts for about a year now. Travel nursing has always been a dream to me, and like many other nurses, the very possibility (dream) has kept me sane in a rather hectic career and life. Then why am I stalling?

Filling you in on a little of my background may help to receive constructive advice, so here goes...

I am 49 years old, mother of one child who is married and lives across the Atlantic. My husband and I often discussed travel nursing as an option for this time of our lives. I lost my husband 2 years ago and live in a city where I do have some good friends and a good job, but family live very far away and have for many years.

In many ways I have come to grips with my losses, yet find myself feeling very lonely from time to time - and perhaps I always will.

The dream of travel nursing is still very alive in me, but so much has changed and frankly I do dread the possibility of "feeling lonely" all over again - therefore I stall.

Any advice? Are there any nurses who have found themselves in similar situations, yet chose travel nursing? Am I biting off more than I can chew (have read those agency horror stories)? Do most nurses travel when they realize that in thier present life offers little and it is time to move on?

Thanks in advance

Re: Is It Time To Move On And Try Travel Nursing ?

I am 51 years old and have 5 children all grown. I have been travel nursing for 3 years now. It is a very fulfilling experience. You don't have to deal with all the politics of working at a permanent spot. You make good money and meet a lot of good friends. I have been to places I never would have got to go to just working in one spot. The down fall is the work is usually tough. Travelers are usually needed because it is busy or it is a tough place to keep full time staff. You don't usually have sick pay or vacation but I make enough money to take off at least 2 weeks between 13 week assignments and 1 month off at Christmas to be with my family. I also do not maintain personal insurance and I has been worrying me lately, that if I have a serious medical problem I won't be able to work or be able to live if I need an extended time off.
    If you don't want to quit your permanent job, take a 4 month leave of absence and try it once. You may never stop!!
    Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice angel. Why no insurance? My understanding is that most travel agencies offer this benefit? Yes, I can fully understand your worry.

I soon will turn 50!!! and I too have been thinking of travel nursing for about a year now. I met two travel nurses in my previous hospital who were pulled to my floor. They both loved it and were eager to share their experiences. I now work as a triage nurse in a major city Crisis Response Center. Jobs for psych nurses aren't as prevalent as ICU, etc. However there are some. I figure I can stand nearly anything for three months - the average travel contract. It does bother me that there are little to no provisions for sick time but I am pretty healthy.

I am hoping to travel and take my 13 yr old daughter with me as PA has cyber charter schools which she can do all her schooling on a computer. I think the tradeoff is a good one so she and I can explore other areas of the US. I am planning on taking an assignment after Jan 1, 2006.

The insurance is a good question because I understoon from at least one travel company that if you take an assignment within 30 days of completing your last one, all the benefits continue.

I think I will try a leave of absence first as this is a really good way to "try it out"!!!

Best wishes in your travels!
    Karen

I am 5_ something. And have been traveling for 3 years. It does get lonely I won't lie to you. But I love it. I have been close to my sons now for almost a year and that makes it nice.

You will make friends and if you don't just get out on your own and explore.

I'm going caving here in Wild Wonderful WV on Tues my day off...

Good luck

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Thank you so much for your posts. It is difficult to get the added incentive you need when working in a world of full time employees who see to feel their benefits are the only thing that matters in life.

Lena can you explain your question further I'm not sure what you mean.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I am also contemplating traveling. I have been looking into several companies so that when the time comes, I can choose the best one. I want my first assignment to be in lovely CA. A good book to read is entitled "Hitting the Road' by Shalon Kearney. It is written by a travel nurse.

Hey all u nurses thinking of travelling
    I am late 40's travelled for 7 years just me and my little shitzu and love it. You will to It is lonly sometimes but I just make the best of it. I do have one question for some of the nurses who have travelled for awhile did u let your house go or are u making a house payment what is most of u doing with that situation thanks