Thread: hospitals treat travelers like dirt

hospitals treat travelers like dirt

My question is, why are we liable to pay so much and be in so much hot water if we break our contracts, but hospitals can get away with treating travelers like dirt? I am a great nurse, my patients love me, I'm always caught up on my work, I priortize well, I always help out other nurses, and I have multi discpline experience. I work Med Surg, Tele, Cardiac Step down or SNF. I'm young enough that no computer charting system has ever been anything that I couldn't master in a very short time. I can do and have done things that would make other nurses cry in frustration without any complaints, so why do hospitals act like all travel nurses are dirt? You always hear agian and agian about how travelers don't care, they slack off on their work...blah blah blah. And hospitals use that agianst you. But thats just not true. In my experience, all the travel nurses I have ever worked with are the one's people go to for advice, we are the ones that other nurses come to when they need an IV started, wer'e the ones they come to when a patient is going bad (often because we are the only ones who are ACLS certified), were the ones that always have the up to date med books, and the cardiac care guides in our bags. we are the ones that manage our time well anough that we have time to help others out. Someone please explain it to me!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: hospitals treat travelers like dirt

I have never had problems like that with co-workers at any of my travel assignments. Maybe you just got a crappy assignment, maybe your co-workers are so over-worked that their attitudes are suffering- I don't know, but I wouldn't say that ALL hospitals/assignments are like that- sounds like you just got a bad one....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen