Thread: Can new ADN find quality work if working every other week?

Can new ADN find quality work if working every other week?

Hello to all and thanks for taking the time to read my post and for responding if you have any suggestions. My question is this: Can a fresh out of school ADN find a quality nursing job when only able to work every other week? The reasons for only being able to work every other week are to difficult to explain briefly here but due to a divorce, custody schedule and a child with special requirements this is the situation. I am thinking that working for an agency is not practical for a ADN right out of school and the same would apply to travel positions and I would think that travel positions would need a nurse to remain for more than a week. So, does anyone have any ideas as to how to go about this and how practical such an every other week work schedule may be - will empoyers be willing and able to consider such a work schedule? Thanks again for the help

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can new ADN find quality work if working every other week?

I would think it would depend on where you were at and what the needs were there. There are places that work 7 on and 7 off and yo are a full time employee with benefits. If someplace had enough per diem hours where you pick your days you could pick just those on the week you needed. I wouldn't think a travel job would work doing every other week but you never know and it would need to be some kind of local travel or close enough that you could get back and forth.

Member Extraordinaire

Most hospitals have 2-week pay periods, and consider full-time to be 36 hours/week. If you can find a job that will allow you to work all of your 72 hours for the pay period in one week, then you'd be able to have the other week of the pay period off. It might be a little more difficult to do, but I know others who work this type of schedule.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I think that the bigger the facility, the more flexible they will be with their schedule. A smaller facility will more than likely run on a bare bones crew and there are always those that have their schedule set in stone. You can specifically search for those with creative scheduling. Although you may not have a ton of choices, it will get you working and able to search for the next best job.