Thread: I'm considering nursing as a career and need help!

I\'m considering nursing as a career and need help!

I'm going through a career change. I was a computer programmer, now I'm a sales manager and in both cases I've been laid off due to a)the economy or b)corporate buyout. I can't afford to go through these changes and I'm tired of feeling like another brick in the corporate pyramid.

From what I've read, it appears that nurses have great union benefits. Is this true? Is it also true that it's easy to find a job once out of school? Is it true that male nurses get paid more than female nurses? What type of nurse gets paid the most and what's required to get this type of compensation? Is nursing better than being a Physician Assistant? How does it compare to other fields like Physical Therapy? Does Nursing match this field dollar for dollar?

I'm really tired of doing unrewarding work and want to do something better with my life - but at the same time I don't want to starve and I don't want to put my family through more financial hardships.

Thanks for reading this and I'm very grateful for this site.

Re: I\'m considering nursing as a career and need help!

I'll tell you like I was told in LPN school . Don't go into nursing for the money. Yes you probably can make $60-70K But you'll work for it. You won't come out of school making that kind of money and when you get to that level you will be maxed out.

Go into nursing if you want to help people, if you care about others, and if you don't mind working weekends, nights, and holidays. If you don't mind being treated as inferior by many docs. That is improving though I will say.

As for unions. Unions are only as strong as their members. Nurses are not notorious for "getting along". Remember it's mainly a woman's field. And you know what's it's like having two women in the kitchen.

Go into nursing for the art of nursing. Not for money you won't be happy if you do and all that money won't be worth it.

JMHO

WR,,, three commas for Becca

In reading your post, I keep seeing dollar signs. If the money is all you are looking for, find another field. To be a good nurse, you have to love it. If you don't, no amount of money will make you happy with the work. It isn't an easy field.

Did you intend this for the OP? Cuz, yes I like money, but I certainly didn't go into nursing for money and for years and years and years I didn't get much.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

I can't say that I'm interested strictly in dollar signs. However, it's a practical consideration. Do I love working with people? Absolutely. My first love was physical therapy many years ago until I became distracted and got into computers. I'm just trying to figure out which medical field will satisy me the most.

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I've read, it appears that nurses have great union benefits. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]Considering that this population is mostly female, it is pretty hard to get them to agree and if they do; to stick with it and see it through. I've found that most employers are pretty fair and competetive so there is no real reason for a union.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it also true that it's easy to find a job once out of school?

[/ QUOTE ]Depending on location, the recruiters are stepping over themselves to get at you. Not to mention the sign-on bonus.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it true that male nurses get paid more than female nurses?

[/ QUOTE ]It's pretty much what you negotiate for yourself. Some people will take what they get. Others get what they want.

[ QUOTE ]
    What type of nurse gets paid the most and what's required to get this type of compensation

[/ QUOTE ]CRNA,ARNP, Midwifes form the top brackets. They require post-grad work and certification. Specialty areas, middle to upper third. Most hospitals offer these specialty courses.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is nursing better than being a Physician Assistant?

[/ QUOTE ]Anything is better than being a physician assistant. Pure scut work.

[ QUOTE ]
    How does it compare to other fields like Physical Therapy?

[/ QUOTE ]PT,OT,ST have their own fish to fry. These people have a serious education committment. You can start nusing after only two years.

[ QUOTE ]
    Does Nursing match this field dollar for dollar?

[/ QUOTE ]They used to get pretty big bucks. No more . . . CMS has really tightened up the purse strings.

Hope this helps. MY $0.02

O_S

Do it if u love taking care of people and making a difference. If its money by itself forget it.