Thread: JPS & Nurse training

JPS & Nurse training

Hello. I have a question. A while back when I was first looking into changing careers I found some info about a program that JPS had to train ultrasound techs and also (if I remember correctly) nurses, although I can't remember if it was RN or LVN. Does anyone know if they still do this?
    Thanks.

Thumbs up Re: JPS & Nurse training

JPS is the county hospital for Fort Worth and Tarrant County. I went there immediately out of nursing school and I got training I could never have gotten anywhere else. If you can handle all the politics, it is a great learning experience. There is a saying that if you can survive 6 months at JPS, you can work anywhere. I found that to be true. I was offered a job everywhere I applied after I worked for them.

Red face Re: JPS & Nurse training

I am a registered nurse and hold an Associate in Applied Science in Radiology, thus making me an x-ray tech/R.N. The Radiology Board has strict laws when it comes to someone receiving training in radiology or ultrasound. Like nursing, radiology has many subspecialties, ultrasound being one of the many. In order for you to work in Ultrasound you must hold a Radiology Tech degree and Ultrasound Certificate. This requires 2 years of school for radiology and an additional 1 year training in ultrasound. Some older ultrasound techs were grandfathered in, but I believe this is no longer allowed. Ultrasound techs hold licenses permitting them to practice. I hope that this is helpful. If your hospital is going to train you then they are in direct violation of these laws and can be fined major amounts of money.