Thread: Beware Bogus Schools

Angry Beware Bogus Schools

I am trying to get the word out about my bad experience with South University RN to BSN online. First of all it was very high pressure, make a quick decision effort on their part. I have found other blogs and forums mentioning the high sales pressure of South. Others were turned of, I wish I had been so lucky. They lied about the tuition, I was told $190 a credit and it is really $308.00. Nothing is sent my mail or email. I was pressured into quickly applying for a student loan. I was told as a part of my application fee they would request my transcripts. Then today when I figured them out and the director of admissions hung up on me. They had me enrolled and singed up without reviewing my transcripts and are now telling me after 2 classes, that my student loan will not pay for the classes I already took b/c they did not get the information, and now I am responsible for coming up with $2500.00 at the last minute. The pressure sales made it out to be an easy quick admissions process and I was gulable. The pressure was so bad, with tons of phone calls and emails, that I did not have time to read the fine print or think.
    Another bogus thing is that I was never told that my upper level nursing courses would not transfer. The instructors are not that great either. When I would have a question it usually took 2-3 days for a response. The assigments were also vague and unorganized and my grade was penalized as a result.
    Nurses today are under pressure to get a BSN and this is one of the many so called colleges that are taking advantage of it and trying to make big money. I think also it is a get you in and get you out quick scheme to make a fast buck. I have reported this to the BBB and anyone else I can think of and would encourage all to do the same.
    Hind sight being 20/20 why would an institution admitt you to class if they had not gone over your transcript? And, they are suppose to be accredited. For what, I don't know.

Re: Beware Bogus Schools

If the school isn't accredited, don't even *think* of looking at it.

Here are the accrediting bodies for the various nursing schools:

Two national organizations accredit nursing education programs. The National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) accredits all types of nursing education programs including master's, baccalaureate, associate's and diploma. The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredits programs that offer only master's and baccalaureate level nursing degrees.

There are also separate accrediting bodies for advanced practice nursing fields, including Nurse Anesthetist and Nurse Midwife programs. The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) accredits nurse anesthesia programs at the certificate, master's and doctoral degree levels.

The American College of Nurse-Midwives Division of Accreditation (ACNM) accredits midwifery education programs.

With accreditation, you will have recourse if the school doesn't live up to its' promises and your education will carry more clout.

Re: Beware Bogus Schools

Good information. I am going back to school after 20 years of being an LPN. Hospital nursing, is my love...bedside traditional nursing; however, LPN's are not being utilized other than glorified techs in many hospitals now. They are not able to use their skills that they worked so hard to develop. Any way...I chose Excelsior College, it has been around awhile, formerly Regents. There is a cheaper way to do it...if you are already a nurse or have some basic medical knowledge...you can save a lot of money by just ordering the study guides for the classes and getting the information on your own through textbooks from friends, or used libraries, or what have you. Don't fall prey to these companies who make you sign up for all these "guaranteed" study materials...you will end up paying much more than you have to. I found CD's on e-bay...$50 for all eight nursing classes. They are the study guides, and I have textbooks already; I am not going to get involved in any publishing companies that promise I can pass if I just "use the materials they offer". Good luck to you, sorry for your unfortunate situation. Hope it all works out.
    ruby43