Thread: Need Advice!

Smile Need Advice!

I am finishing my pre-reqs and plan on applying to some nursing program as soon as possible. I'm wondering which option is the best way to go to get in as soon as possible. I have thought about either getting an LPN and then going on for a BSN, applying at a community college (chicago one's) and getting ASN, or trying to get into Lewis for the accelerated BSN (since I have my bahelors). I am afraid that I will not get into any of them or that the wait lists will be years. Any advice on which path is the best way to go and what schools may have the shortest wait lists?
    Thanks!!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Need Advice!

Hi, Rach! Nice to meet you. I did the LPN to RN route, though my LPN school is no more. If you do decide to get your LPN first, you'd be able to work and take courses for the BSN. Mind you, Saint Xavier's has an awesome LPN to RN bridge. One word of advice, though: the last 2 semesters are pretty much full time. But, since you already have a Bachelors.....

Lewis is a good school, also.

'Cat'

Since you already have your Bachelors, why not just go on to Masters in nursing? There are several great programs across the US, which accommodate baccalaureate prepared individuals in fields other than nursing in receiving their RN licensure at the master's level.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Quote Originally Posted by RNmedicTN View Post
    Since you already have your Bachelors, why not just go on to Masters in nursing? There are several great programs across the US, which accommodate baccalaureate prepared individuals in fields other than nursing in receiving their RN licensure at the master's level.

In fact, UT, Austin, SON has an accelerated MSN program for those with a bachelor's degree [not in nursing]. A student can take the NCLEX at a certain point during the program. Then, can work part-time as an RN before completing MSN program.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN