Thread: new to Forum 2

new to Forum 2

OK just a short brief intro to see who I am and who you are

I have been a paramedic for 17 years mostly working medivacs and fixed wing flight transfers. Although through the years I have been constantly working either ambulance or sprint trucks. My initial training was provided complimants of Uncle Sam via USAF at the old age of 17. I attended our first perfomance in Desert Storm, the Oklahoma city bombing, Tsunami in Indonesia and of course my home states hurricane Katrina. I am currently working in Singapore as a safety supervisor setting up medical clinics on oil rigs for 2 major oil companies to be USCG, MMS, & OSHA compliant prior to return to the US. Singapore is great especially for me I have my own apartment and get to go home at night and on Sundays. The night life here is awesome.

I am working on my nursing degree through Excelsior and should be able to test for the 2 year by January. I have enough hours to finish out my 4 year by next year but I am having a difficult time deciding where to go from there. Duke university has a campus here called Duke SUN that offers a pretty good scholarship program for your Nurse Practiioner but the catch is that you have to work for the Ministry of Health here for 2 years afterwards. I know the money is better in the oilfield. (Much Better) and my benefits cost me about $20 a month with no deductible no preexisting and had no waiting period but at some point I would like to have a life outside of work and my prefrences don't meet my co-workers. I work with about 300 men and 5 women. So for now I am staying here and get to come home about every three months for one month and working on my nursing degree.

I love to laugh to be the life of the party or to laugh at someone else. I consider myself deceptivly intelligent. In other words I don't look like a nerd I just think like one. I am sure I will have lots of questions for everyone. So any responses, suggestions questions or ideas let me know
    BB

Re: new to Forum 2

Great to see a fellow Paramedic join the board. Welcome!
    Actually, it is quite something to see so many graduate nursing programs accepting individuals from excelsior. This, in itself is a testament to their program, as many graduate schools will not even give an applicant from an online program a second glance. I was quite surprised to see that Vanderbilt accepted their share of individuals from excelsior, as they should. You should have no problem going on to your master's. If you are interested in staying with Trauma/Critical Care & Flight, you should look into Acute Care Nurse Practitioner programs, as I did. I am currently on my second year of coursework in my ACNP/FNP Emergency Nurse Practitioner studies, and loving it. I started out as a Paramedic, and went to class for 3 yrs to get my ADN(1 yr pre-nursing, 2 yrs nursing), then transitioned to my BSn and entered with no prob. It was a long hard road, but it was worth it. I would not trade a moment.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new too. Your job sounds awesome. And good for you for doing the Excelsior program...I just started up my studies again too.
    Try JobsUSA.com if you want to stay with a government organization. Also federaljobs.org; if I already had my rn degree, I would definitely do this. I tried it out as an LPN and was disappointed. But I think it would be great as an RN. I found by posting resume on Careerbuilders and Monster, I was getting e-mails and phone calls frequently. The earlier you start, the better. Travel companies offer a lot too.
    But what an awesome experience to work in Singapore...that's great. Good luck to you.
    ruby43

Hello Medivac!

Wow, thanks for the very interesting intro. You follow directions well.

Seriously, RNmedicTN had a good idea for you regards to NP option; ACNP/FNP Emergency Nurse Practitioner.

I do hope you post often!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Glad to meet you, Medivac! Sounds like your life is pretty well busy. Stop by when you can to relax, etc.

Until the next time.....

'Cat'