Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graduating from an on-line LPN to RN program

Graduating from an on-line LPN to RN program

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if there are any nurses out there who have actually graduated from an on line nursing program (LPN to RN)and if so what was the name of the program and how was their curriculum? I already know about The College Network but everybody I know who is using them has not finished and it has been years for all of them. Please tell me that it's not a scam.

Re: Graduating from an on-line LPN to RN program

ALWAYS look for NLNAC Accredation.

Check out this program:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_...ool_Of_Nursing

You will have to show up at a Pearson Vue for a skills check, and will have some clinical site requirements, etc.

This is a good program, it will prepare you for the NCLEX. As far as I am aware, this is the ONLY online program that is respected and accepted by graduate nursing schools.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Only problem is: Will the State of Illinois accept the online LPN to RN degree? From what I understood years ago, Illinois will accept online programs IF you've practiced for 2 years in another state.

I am looking into this, so.....I'll get back later.

'Cat'

I know that TN will accept Excelsior prepared nurses. As for Illinois, I will give excelsior a call, their representatives can surely help you with this question.

Also, if you are a compact licensure state, you shouldn't have a problem. You can just pursue your multi-state licensure, without need of reciprocity, outside of CEU's that is. I wish that Paramedic licenses were the same. When I began flying, I had to get licensed in Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, and Arkansas because we also ran fixed-wing transport.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

OK; here's the poop. I spoke with someone at the IL BON, and the person said that Indiana State University is OK. Any other courses...eh. They'd accept the courses if you practiced in another state for about 2 years. I think Excelsior is the one with clinical NOT concurrant with coursework.

I am a nursing student in the Excelsior program. The College Network is not a degree granting institution. It is an independent organization that purports to be associated with Excelsior College and tries to sell its study guides to unsuspecting students. Excelsior College warns its students about these companies on their website. The two main online LPN to RN schools I'm aware of are Excelsior and Indiana State University. You would have to contact your state Board of Nursing and find out if they will accept a nursing degree from either of these schools.

Dear Maddie,

The College Network does not claim to be affiliated with Excelsior College. Documentation we provide to customers, as well as our web site (The College Network:) acknowledge that we have no affiliation, formally or informally, with Excelsior College.

The College Network does however partner with several universities including Indiana State University. It is important to fully research any educational program you plan to pursue prior to enrollment.

Rick
    TCN Academic Support

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    I am a nursing student in the Excelsior program. The College Network is not a degree granting institution. It is an independent organization that purports to be associated with Excelsior College and tries to sell its study guides to unsuspecting students. Excelsior College warns its students about these companies on their website. The two main online LPN to RN schools I'm aware of are Excelsior and Indiana State University. You would have to contact your state Board of Nursing and find out if they will accept a nursing degree from either of these schools.
    You are correct when you say "unsuspecting" students. I've been enrolled with The College Network for over a year, and have yet to make it through ONE book! It is impossible reading, and when it comes to testing-it has nothing to do with WHAT you have read! It is a scam, if you ask me. They SCAM you into signing away thousands of dollars, saying you can "easily" read their modules and then sit for exams at a local school. In actuality, the local colleges do not recognize TCN, nor do the clinical sites I was told I would be able to attend. I have called them everyday for WEEKS and they will not budge from the iron clad contract I signed! Its making me crazy being associated with them any longer! If anyone is considering a class action law suit-count me in!

Hello and I believe I have some answers for you and anyone concerned. The College Network is a resource prep organization only and can not grant a degree. What this means is they are a middle man.

Excellsor College, on the other hand, has a national accreditidation to grant degrees, as well as an LPN to RN Associate Degree. While this degree does not provide for a student to get Federal Student Aid, it does qualify to obtain an in school deferment.

The way College Network uses the Excellsor program is that the first nursing class offered by Excellsor is open to the public and does not require an application for admission. However, after a College Network Student passes the first class, they must then apply to the Excellsor College, where the rules for admission of the College Network no longer apply. Excelsior can then require new standards and not accept credits and College Network can't help you. In this sense, the gaurentees made by College Network are worthless.

Furthermore, College Network charges you more for their materials and program than what Excelisor charges and a College Network student must also pay all the Excelisor fees as well. What this means is the College Network charges you about a hundred dollars a month, and then after you successfully pass the first exam offered by Excelisor, you have to pay the 75 dollar application fee to Excelisor, have your credits reviewed again, gain admission all over again into the Excelisor program, pay an additional 800 dollars to Excelisor and then continue to pay for your exams.

Upon completion of all the exams, the College Network then charges you an additional 1500 dollars to take your clinical and Excelisor charges you another 1300 dollars, so you pay twice as much for that part. The college Network sends you materials to prepare for the clinical testing that will last about two days on a weekend, but students that get that far have problems and I have heard some have failed the clinical as a College Network Student two to three times and then gave up alltogether. ON the other hand, Excelisor students have fewer problems.

Some states even give Excelisor students problems, like Georgia, but it sounds like the Governer of the State will work to stablize the problem. But, Illinois probably won't accept an online AS RN program anytime soon.

Brown Mackie Students beware of the College Network. Sales people come in offering pizza and cake to get you to sit down and go over their program saying you can start with no money down and no payments for six months. LPNs in some states barely make enough to live let alone pay for the student loans. There is no way a new student can afford to pay their student loans and continue with the College Network if graduates have children and are living on their own. The best way is to enroll with Excelisor after going to a community college and get through the prenursing requirements that Brown Mackie does not offer.

Excelisor College does not take Brown Mackie credits for english or psych, but if you have your prenursing out of the way from an accredited college and have a clean LPN license, you can begain with Excelisor College.

Finally, all the preparation materials from Excelisor College and the exams are written Excelisor College faculity. The college network is out there reviewing the materials and writing a supplement for retail sale to Excelisor which may not contain the same information. Although the College Network offers a gaurentee, Excelisor will boot you out of school if you fail five exams and you have to wait three months if you fail one, before you can take it again.

While it is your choice, you need to make a good one based on the truth and not what a College Network Representative tells you. The College Network Contract can be beaten. Hire an attorney if you want out.

Also, there are better choices than Brown Mackie College. While there is no waiting list, you might find it harder once you get a job, because you were not properly perpared. LPNs are expected to be able to start IVs and hang IVs and draw blood. Brown Mackie doesn't teach these things.

Quote Originally Posted by The College Network View Post
    Dear Maddie,

The College Network does not claim to be affiliated with Excelsior College. Documentation we provide to customers, as well as our web site (The College Network:) acknowledge that we have no affiliation, formally or informally, with Excelsior College.

The College Network does however partner with several universities including Indiana State University. It is important to fully research any educational program you plan to pursue prior to enrollment.

Rick
    TCN Academic Support
    yes you are correct. TCN confuses students in order to gain enrollment. No student needs to go through CTN to gain admission into Indiana State University and can prepare to cleft on their own. However, the best way is to simply enroll in an accredited college and pay for a quality class in anatomony, growth and development and writing and then apply to Indiana State University to have an LPN turned into an RN or go through the Excelsior College and work at your own pace. Keep in mind students, grades do count and having C grades in all your classes or having to take classes two and three times over doesn't look good when your employeer requests your transcripts. Good Luck to all. Make a good decision, because taking the short cuts with an education won't get you a job and if you are lucky enough to get one, short cuts in your education certianly will not keep it for you or help you keep your license free of deogratory episodes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast