Thread: Anyone on Nursing Board have addiction experience

Anyone on Nursing Board have addiction experience

I'm hoping to get my suspension stayed sept. 4th matter of fact i started doing what the board needed me to do to get my license back or get to work as an RN. I have to drug urine test not less than 56 times the first yaer-observed urine testing. Ive started AA/NA which i am not thrilled about but I'll do whatever I have to to work as an RN again. Found an employer willing to go the extra miles to hire me-in an outpatient clinc I was thrilled and excited. I had tried to email the Board multiple times with no response. I do have orders that state no working in home care, hospice or agency nursing. Never in a million years did I think an outpatient clinic would be a problem. Well I was wrong-the Board denied the job-I was sick I'm still sick. Where can I work? I have to work as an RN to be in compliance with my orderrs but how and where.I am so confused and I am so angry. If they had someone on the Board who knew anything about addicts they would know if an addict is going to use they will use the site makes little differrence.

Cool Re: Anyone on Nursing Board have addiction experience

Yep, I understand fully- I have been on probation since 2003- over tested at 65.00 dollars a test-minimum tests a year is 18- but last year it was 31- harrassed by my job and accussed of abusing alcohol while working, raising three kid's loosing a spouse and signing the stipulation orders as well.
    I also was a new grad- I agree, if you where already chemically challanged- and can make it through the mis-managemant of some of our cases and files. Hooorra- Because,I was told the BRN was not punitive and worked with everyone on an individual bases. Not true at all.
    Hang in there, I also know what its like to try and get a job- with a probationary license-- and deal with great stress. Alot of people look at you as a liability, not an assett. Hang in and don't give up!!! God Bless

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Re: Anyone on Nursing Board have addiction experience

Quote Originally Posted by dschen View Post
    I'm hoping to get my suspension stayed sept. 4th matter of fact i started doing what the board needed me to do to get my license back or get to work as an RN. I have to drug urine test not less than 56 times the first yaer-observed urine testing. Ive started AA/NA which i am not thrilled about but I'll do whatever I have to to work as an RN again. Found an employer willing to go the extra miles to hire me-in an outpatient clinc I was thrilled and excited. I had tried to email the Board multiple times with no response. I do have orders that state no working in home care, hospice or agency nursing. Never in a million years did I think an outpatient clinic would be a problem. Well I was wrong-the Board denied the job-I was sick I'm still sick. Where can I work? I have to work as an RN to be in compliance with my orderrs but how and where.I am so confused and I am so angry. If they had someone on the Board who knew anything about addicts they would know if an addict is going to use they will use the site makes little differrence.
    Without knowing what state you are in it's hard to know what you are dealing with although I will tell you that most boards want your first job to be in non-patient care. If You are anywhere near the Los Angeles/San Gabriel Valley area of California I could help you get a job at the facility where I work - THey know how to work with the board and hire a lot of nurses in recovery. I've been in this for almost 4 years now and hope to be done in October. Anyways - try looking at Psych facilities they will usually hire and taylor your job description to meet the needs of the board.

Good Luck

Hppy