Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

Exclamation Re: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup
    would like some info on wearing open-toed shoes on a psych unit. i've worked on 3 different psych units, 2 of which we could wear open-toed shoes. there is not an OSHA rule against this & the only infection control issue i can find regards where you would need PPE (shoecovers).
    At my hospital if there is the slightest chance that you will enter a patient's room regardless of where it is open-toed shoes are not permitted.

Re: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

I saw people wearing open toed shoes when I did my psych rotation in school and I thought it was a bad idea. You never know what you're going to step in, even in psych and I wouldn't take the risk. I also have a problem with those Crocs that people wear. There are holes in those things!!! The last thing I want is someone's blood, puke, feces or urine on my feet and if you're going to expose your feet like that you may as well be barefoot.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

In a Psych Ward, all it takes is one agitated patient, and open-toes shoes will open you up to a world of hurt.

I can see where it adds to a "laid back" appearance and may help a patient relax. However, I've seen too many patient attack nurses to give them an easy target.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Ricu

Hi everyone,

For what it's worth, I think open toed shoes in any work environment except a business office would be hazardous for the wearer.

R

I would think in a psych ward you would be even LESS inclined to want to wear open toed shoes...hmm, on med surg you have blood, urine and poop, on psych you have all of the above plus spit and seman thrown in for good measure...and the patient's are throwing in on the floor and at you on purpose...naw, I think I want my feet covered.

I was a psych PCA for almost 3 years, and I would have to say it's a bad idea. I've had patients try to stomp my foot, throw things on the floor (or at me/my feet), shove chairs at me (potential for jammed toes) and even (with guys) attempt to pee on my pants leg/feet. So you may be allowed to, but I definitely would NOT advise it.

Personally I would love to wear sandals at work. I love sandals. I feel comfortable that ways also. Also if I wore sandals at work I would get even more of those wonderful pedicures. And show off my latest choice of colored polish for my toenails. Being self indulgent is so much fun

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Quote Originally Posted by Teeituptom View Post
    Personally I would love to wear sandals at work. I love sandals. I feel comfortable that ways also. Also if I wore sandals at work I would get even more of those wonderful pedicures. And show off my latest choice of colored polish for my toenails. Being self indulgent is so much fun
    If you can handle the bodily fluids issue, then more power to ya!

It's called "safety/falls precautions, liability, dress code, policies........

If there is not an OSHA rule I think you can wear them depending on your facility rules. However, I don't see what the benefits would be. I was actually drawing up meds once and dropped the syringe and it landed on my foot. Thank goodness for my shoes! You never know what can happen during a day of nursing so the more protection the better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast