Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: open-toed shoes on a psych/mental health unit

Quote Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
    Not to be opinionated, but didnt they teach you in nursing school that open-toed shoes are not acceptable? I must have went to a school with a ton of rules. Our hair had to be up off the collar, we had to wear hose, yes panty hose under our nursing uniform, one pair of earrings, a wedding band only, if married, no other rings allowed. Very little, if any make-up allowed. Ok, you get the point. Sorry for being a little judgemental. Just letting you know what I was taught in school. I know that when we graduate and get out into the real world, we dont all do as we did in school.
    same here! that's how we are trained too..and we are not allowed to wear earrings (even just studs for girls and boys of course) and wedding rings--all jewelries not allowed except for a wrist watch engraved with your name! Make up and nail polish are also a no no..as to shoes, they have to be closed of regardless of the area where you were assigned and I kinda adapted that policy until now!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Regarding some of the no-no's various schools 'impose' on us: In Psych, one never knows how a patient might react. Earrings can get pulled.

As for nails? Well, they can (and will) break, not to mention bacteria, no matter how well we wash our hands. And do you really want to insert a suppository with fake nails? And I have seen some really loooong nails out there.

I agree...we could wear anything we want outside the hosp,but while on duty let's just keep ourselves simple This will make us even more comfortable too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123