Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any army nurses out there who can give me advice?

Re: Are there any army nurses out there who can give me advice?

I have a great option for you.....

Apply for an Army ROTC scholarship. The USArmy will pay for your tuition,books and fees and give you a monthly stipend....in exchange, you give the Army 4 yrs and you will be commissioned upon graduation.

Another option is to go Army National Guard. Join the "College First" program. They will pay for your schooling and you cannot be deployed for the first 2 yrs (long enough to get an RN through an ASN program).

The USArmy now commissions folks with only 60 credits. You have to have a Bachelors to get promoted to Captain and above. So you can get the commission from the ASN and then finish your BSN.

Their are so many options. Talk to a recruiter.

(BTW, I am an AF vet who used an AFROTC scholarship to get my first degree and my DD is currently in Iraq as a Combat Medic.)

Quote Originally Posted by FLMomof5 View Post
    I have a great option for you.....

Apply for an Army ROTC scholarship. The USArmy will pay for your tuition,books and fees and give you a monthly stipend....in exchange, you give the Army 4 yrs and you will be commissioned upon graduation.

Another option is to go Army National Guard. Join the "College First" program. They will pay for your schooling and you cannot be deployed for the first 2 yrs (long enough to get an RN through an ASN program).

The USArmy now commissions folks with only 60 credits. You have to have a Bachelors to get promoted to Captain and above. So you can get the commission from the ASN and then finish your BSN.

Their are so many options. Talk to a recruiter.

(BTW, I am an AF vet who used an AFROTC scholarship to get my first degree and my DD is currently in Iraq as a Combat Medic.)
    Thank you for your AF military service. Hope your daughter comes home safe. I redeployed last June from 15 months in Iraq with 31st CSH.

BTW, excellent advice R/T Army Nurse Corps.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Welcome home! And thanks for your sevice as well.

We are a military family. Dad is retired LTC from USAF. My hubby is a Master Gunner. He was in the sand box in the early days.....that was scary! Had a nice case of PTSD when he got home(not that *he* would admit it!)....but doing well now. It took about a year before he was "Normal" again.

My son was a Blackhawk mechanic. Out before deploying - if you can imagine that. He is looking at going back in. Civilian life isn't what he thought it would be. For now, he is getting his A&P license through the local CC.

Quote Originally Posted by FLMomof5 View Post
    Welcome home! And thanks for your sevice as well.

We are a military family. Dad is retired LTC from USAF. My hubby is a Master Gunner. He was in the sand box in the early days.....that was scary! Had a nice case of PTSD when he got home(not that *he* would admit it!)....but doing well now. It took about a year before he was "Normal" again.

My son was a Blackhawk mechanic. Out before deploying - if you can imagine that. He is looking at going back in. Civilian life isn't what he thought it would be. For now, he is getting his A&P license through the local CC.
    Well, I'm not too fond of loud noises. Otherwise, I'm fine.

My son, 2LT Med Plt Ldr, deploys to Iraq FEB. Thing is, the stork visits his wife soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    I was instructing BLS [aka CPR] to Soldier Medic students [68W] last week. I asked if anyone had prior CPR experience. One spoke that they were already a civilian LPN. Next break we had I asked her if she wanted to be a M6 [68WM6], which is an LPN Soldier. She asked her Army recruiter about same but he told her not to worry about that she would get that MOS automatically eventually.

Well, next break I found an NCO [SFC]. He was one of the enlisted Cadre [I'm officer cadre] that was a 68WM6. He suggested that she go see her Retention NCO to change her contract to reflect her as a 68WM6 upon completion of our 68W program.

It is ashame what some of these recruiters get away with.
    Hello CPT!

How are you? Glad you are back.

Heya, I thought you were in Washington state prior to your deployment. I haven't been online in a while...just busy working.

I see that you are at AMEDD, right? I'm here too. Nice to read you.

Gennaver
    at BAMC

Quote Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
    Hello CPT!

How are you? Glad you are back.

Heya, I thought you were in Washington state prior to your deployment. I haven't been online in a while...just busy working.

I see that you are at AMEDD, right? I'm here too. Nice to read you.

Gennaver
    at BAMC
    Got back last June from 15 month deployment in Iraq. Accepted PCS assignment to Dept Combat Medic Trng. Reported 1 OCT. Presently, working in Cadre Development (BLDG 1374, Office ph# 221-3518.) Call me.

CPT Cary James Barrett

Got back last June from 15 month deployment in Iraq. Accepted PCS assignment to Dept Combat Medic Trng. Reported 1 OCT. Presently, working in Cadre Development (BLDG 1374, Office ph# 221-3518.) Call me.

CPT Cary James Barrett
    Hello CPT,

I look forward to wishing you Happy Holidays.

FWIW, the OBLC program when I went chose to drop the Army customs course and so on and well, its been a challenging year for my "non-Military-Bearing" self. Phew.

Gen/Jen
    1LT, (I can hardly believe I'm up for CPT this year, it seems so soon already, hope I make it!)

Hello CPT,

FWIW, the OBLC program when I went chose to drop the Army customs course and so on and well, its been a challenging year for my "non-Military-Bearing" self. Phew.

Gen/Jen
    1LT, (I can hardly believe I'm up for CPT this year, it seems so soon already, hope I make it!)
    IMHO, (being a prior Marine) the Army is lacking much in the military courtesy dept.

Thumbs up Re: Are there any army nurses out there who can give me advice?

Hello CPT,

Gen/Jen
    Glad you called!

Glad you called!
    Hello,

Me too!

As a follow up, the NCOIC where I work is so valuable. Even for a meeting she recently reminded me, "Ma'am, I don't want to insult you or anything but, when you meet the commander the dress is your ACU's and not civvies." I told her that if she is offering me advice to help that I'd never consider it an insult!

Just yesterday I called to ask if she would double check my Class A's because I thought, "they are really ate up and I don't know how they passed inspection last time!" She said to email her to schedule for next week, so I can have the DA photo taken.

Thank you soooo much CPT!

Also, sorry to piggy back totally on this thread, yet, thank you again.

Jen/Gen
    p.s. of all things...at midnight last night I ended up with a new kitty, he was crying out my window for almost 20 minutes and when I looked out he was walking to the four lane highway...so, he is in here with my three adult Cats, aged 1, 8 and 6. Don't know much about kitties and not sure if I can keep him. To the vet today to chedu him out.
    p.p.s. just last month I ended up with a rescue Horse too! Gah, time to turn off the lamp at my door.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast