Thought this was something: Hospice therapy dogs offer comfort and joy :: Herald News :: Lifestyles

Maria Keene knew her dog Buddy would do well as a therapy dog. His personality fit the bill, and his size was just right for patients who used wheelchairs or could not leave their beds.

But, at the same time, it was Keene's first visit as a volunteer through Seasons Hospice, and she was nervous.

"Dogs feed off of your emotions; I was a bit nervous, and I thought he would read me," she said.

But, Buddy did just fine.

Using dogs for therapy is nothing new. But the program at Seasons Hospice, which has been in existence for less than a year, brings dogs to hospice patients in 11 counties, including Will County.

The only stipulation to participate in the program is that dogs must come to Seasons already certified.

For Keene, that certification came through Delta Society, out of Washington, which certified Buddy in animal assisted therapy.

Buddy began the path to therapy as a puppy with basic training. He advanced to a certification in good citizenship and then to the six-week training to be a therapy dog.

Postive for dogs, patients
At nearby Edward Hospital in Naperville, therapy dogs have been around since 2002.

Patty Kaplan, a registered nurse, founded Paws 4 Therapy Inc. with the hopes that the program could assist the patients in acute care. She is the director of the program at Edward.

By 2007, the hospital had one of the largest animal-assisted therapy programs in the country. More than 100 dog and handler teams visit patients daily at bedside.

"I think the biggest thing is that it serves as a diversion from their illness," she said. "It's calming, and for those patients that are lonely it may be the only visitors they get."

"It's a piece of home."

Marley's tale

Shauna Wellman breeds labradoodles. One day a client mentioned she was starting a program that brought therapy dogs to the hospice patients. Wellman knew her dog, Marley Boy, was a perfect fit.

"I knew that I wanted to do this," Wellman said. "Marley had already been to some nursing homes."

When he tested, he passed the first time. In her nearly eight months that Marley has been involved in the program, Wellman has noticed that the positive effects are not just felt by the patients.

"Marley loves going, and I've noticed every time I leave now, he thinks he is going to go with me," Wellman said.

"He just loves to meet people, and sometimes you're meeting right with the hospice patients and sometimes you are working with the family."