Thread: West Coast University Program approved

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

West Coast University Program approved

FYI: West Coast University Nursing Program Approved by State Nursing Board: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

West Coast University has gained the approval of the California Board of Registered Nursing to offer a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). The California Board of Registered Nursing approved the program recently, and the first class of new students will begin their BSN education at the Orange County campus this November. The Los Angeles and Ontario campuses will begin the BSN program in 2009. West Coast University is not new to educating nurses and has graduated students with an Associate degree in nursing, but it is the first university of its kind to gain approval to offer a BSN.

The West Coast BSN program follows the same professional RN curriculum offered at other state and private schools yet offers classes at an accelerated pace. The program is unique in that its accelerated, year-round semester system enables new students to enroll every 20 weeks and to include pre-nursing and nursing classes into their class schedule. Students can earn degrees within 160 weeks enabling them to enter the workforce within three years which is much sooner than schools on a traditional schedule. The design of the West Coast University BSN program allows for a larger number of nursing graduates to potentially enter the health care community at a time when the demand for nurses is growing. The program design enables graduates to earn professional, RN-level salaries and benefits sooner than graduates from other schools in the country. West Coast University accepts transfer credits for previous work and access to scholarships and federal funding is available to students who qualify.

In April 2005, West Coast University became the second-ever private, proprietary, post-secondary institution in California to be granted a Registered Nursing program by the Board of Registered Nursing and is now the first of its kind approved to offer a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Originally chartered in 1909 as an ophthalmology school, West Coast University has experienced several incarnations, including becoming one of the early pioneers in offering bachelor degree programs designed to meet the needs of working adults. In May of 1997, the University was reorganized and new leadership emerged – refocused on providing educational opportunities to students interested in serving the health care community.

Re: West Coast University Program approved

Hello,
    I'm curios about WCU's nursing program. What course would transfer as credit towards WCU's Cultural Pluralism course? Is it a part of Anthropology? The course descriptions are very similar. It's the only course I have left as Prerequisite. Thank you kindly.

I would contact the school to evaluate your transcripts; guess that's the best policy.

Thumbs down Re: West Coast University Program approved

This program is not for those who have weak wallets. People now in the program say that a BSN from scratch costs $116,000 in tuition. The way their incoming courses are evaluated, they are forced to attend for more terms than necessary, thus upping the ante a good $30,000 unnecessarily. Personally, I don't think there is enough convenience here to make $116,000 worth it. Only for those with money to burn.

Yeeesh. And I thought my tuition was bad.....

i actually came home today from wcu an few hours ago for a introduction to the university and a meeting with one of their admissions representatives.

i'll have to say, their college has a very nice campus. everyone's welcoming and everyone likes to mind their business. when i'd walk into a room, usually everyone stares and stuff like that but at wcu they all seemed to concentrated on their work which was inspiring.

only problem i could come up is the tuition for the college. for a full-time status 12 to 18 units it costs around $15,000.00 per semester. and there are 8 semesters overall. =| but we'll see.

Geez, that is big bucks. Seems like loans for college these days are turning into small mortgages.

You can find more schools here http://www.4nursingschools.com for a nationwide directory, and click on "degree info" up above for online programs as well.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com