Thread: Improving efficiency of operating room

Improving efficiency of operating room

Hi,

I am a grad student working on "improving efficiency of operating room" research.

What are the major issues that lead to inefficiency problems in the OR?

You experience and knowledge can be very helpful for me.

Thanks

Re: Improving efficiency of operating room

Quote Originally Posted by uzay View Post
    Hi,

I am a grad student working on "improving efficiency of operating room" research.

What are the major issues that lead to inefficiency problems in the OR?

You experience and knowledge can be very helpful for me.

Thanks
    I relize this is an old thread, but i think one of the number one things that would improve efficiency would be if everyone working their pulled their weight, did their share. And i've learned in 2 years that there are some people that just like the idea of being titled an OR nurse, yet do not want to get their hands dirty.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

Re: Improving efficiency of operating room

no sour grapes ladies= re improving efficiency in the OR.
    1. accurate pick list/pref. cards with adequate detail info regarding surgeon prefernce
    2. ancillary staff to stage equipment, restock rooms, gofer extras etc.
    3. adequate equipment so the great scavenger hunt does not need to occur
    4. always have min. of three staff assigned to each room-third person could be shared with another room if needed.
    5. OR nurse training to teach big picture thinking and advance prep. Next case should be at least mentally set up before this patient leaves the room. Bad cases and emergency cases would be the exception. Sometimes there just ain't time to plan ahead
    6. clean up crews and anesthesia techs to actually clean and turn over rooms, freeing staff for equipment and instrument collection, potty breaks (LOL) yes OR staff does need to potty on occasion.
    7. morale boosters like guaranteed breaks and meals, smiles and
    good jobs occ., adminstration which supports nursing, control of
    physician attitudes and behavior. We should NEVER be in the position of coaxing any MD to do what hospital states they should
    (signing forms, marking pt., updating H&P, acknowleding time-out, etc.) I am not a babysitter
    8 OR work used to be FUN, put some of that back in the mix
    9. good inservices and super users for all equipment and devices
    nothing is more stressful than be all alone with a device that you are unsure how to use
    10 no more comments like a trained chimp could do my job, If I am doing it well, then I am responsible for being an advocate for my patient when they cannot speak for themselves, I am a mechanic, must be aware of anatomy to protect patient positioning, aware of sterile technique and the watchdog to maintain that safety during the procedre.
    11- get rid of the computer in the OR, it takes too much of the
    circulators attention away from monitoring the field for safety and sterility. I cannot be alert to the field if my nose is stuck on the screen