Thread: Hi from Illinois

Smile Hi from Illinois

Hi! I am new to Ultimate Nurse, I am 51 years old annd have been a LPN for 18 years. I started out in the hospital then worked in physician offices for 14 years. I have been working in ltc for the last 3 months. I never thought I would do this but in December I was fired from my office nurse position for trying to protect my license by refusing to allow a transcriptionist to give IM, SQ, and allery injections! Yeah, can you believe that? She had worked there for 9 years and I had only worked there for 2 2/1 years and she was made clinic coordinator and decided she wanted to do injections. I refused and she continued so I turned in my notice and they fired me when I did! Anyway I was unemployed for 7 months
    just trying to get myself together as I had never been fired from any job ever! I like ltc better than I thought I would but there is alot of crazy things going on where I work and they have fired 5 nurses in the 3 months I been there! This used to be such a stable career! I would love to hear from any of you!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Hi from Illinois

Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you made a wise decision to leave the office; hope you kept a copy of your resignation, cuz if things happen.... Just to be curious, are you in the Northern, Central, or Southern part of the state?

As for the 5 nurses getting the axe in 3 months: has there been a change in Administration or a new DON lately? Sounds like we've got some talking to do!

'Cat'

Re: Hi from Illinois

I am from Central Illinois. Unfortunately, I did not keep a copy of my resignation. I learned a hard lesson from that one. The DON and administrator had just been there a month when I started and the DON has already resigned. 3 of the firings happened when that DON was there and then the ADON came back from maternity leave and was made DON and 2 of the firing have happened since then. I think they were all instigagted from the admin though.