Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online CPR Classes

Online CPR Classes

I need to renew my CPR certification. I found this online CPR Class at Online CPR Certification - Online First Aid Certification - CPR Course & First Aid Course - American Health Care Academy. It seems great i can take it from home at my own pace and print my wallet card immediately. Has any one taking a CPR class online?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Online CPR Classes

I'm sorta leery about this. Reminds me of the fake CPR card ruckus a few weeks ago. Guess I am used to the 'hands on' bit; we all need reminding of placement......

I'm pretty leery of the so-called "American Health Care Academy" myself. Personally, I think they're trying to sound more like the American Heart Association to try to win your trust.

I'd go to ProCPR for CPR Certification. There's a hands-on portion, if you need it or if you're getting initial certification with the Blended CPR program.

:27:Full disclosure: I'm a partner at ProCPR, and I'm proud to say that our product is the best solution for CPR training. We even offer a weekly CPR training refresher e-mail, so that you can keep up to date with a short, 3-6 minute training video every week. Check out our CPR Training Video library for more. (We're constantly working on new videos to improve the quality of our already great training.)

If nothing else, all we want to offer is a great way to keep your CPR training fresh in your mind. That's why we offer our CPR video library for free.

I disagree. I took the course and it was great. I got to take it from my own home at my own pace and take the quiz at the end. The video are great dimenstrations to support the readings. After i passed the quiz i printed off my wallet card right away. I'd recommend it.

This is the thread I was refering to: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...s-fired-33377/

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    This is the thread I was refering to: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...s-fired-33377/
    Ah, I see. It was a situation limited to one particular hospital. That has nothing to do with online certification at all, it would seem.
    But calls to the training center listed on the cards uncovered that none of the employees had actually completed any certification, said Nick Bhatt, senior director of communications and marketing for the western states affiliate of the American Heart Association.

"What's baffling is this was a health care provider certification," Bhatt said. "It takes four and half hours to complete. It's not like getting a PhD or anything."

Bhatt did not know what specific training center was named on the cards.

Several employees - who requested anonymity because they feared for their jobs - claimed the cards were being sold by another employee on one of the four campuses.
    It also seems that there's another underlying issue. Bhatt said that it's a four and a half hour course for health care providers. That requires finding four and a half extra hours somewhere in your schedule to complete. And that's limited to the classes that are offered at certain times. And sometimes, those classes are on a Saturday morning, or you're missing work to complete them.

Why not have the option to complete the learning portion of the certification at your own pace, with training that is consistent every time, with an instructor that is passionate about teaching the life saving skills? Why not have the option to watch the videos online, as classroom training is now mostly on DVD?

ProCPR offers just that, with high quality video trainings in our CPR Video Review section.

Quote Originally Posted by NurseToBe44 View Post
    I disagree. I took the course and it was great. I got to take it from my own home at my own pace and take the quiz at the end. The video are great dimenstrations to support the readings. After i passed the quiz i printed off my wallet card right away. I'd recommend it.
    That sounds like ProCPR in a lot of ways, only we send you a professional wallet card in a couple of days. You can print out a temporary wallet card to use until that one arrives.
    ProTrainings - Quality Training: When you want it, where you want it

Ricu

Hi folks,

Online training works well for so many other programs in healthcare but I believe it is not the best method for certain skills like CPR. While relatively uncomplicated technically, the physical component to performing it well cannot be learned or practiced online. I've been CPR certified since 1978 and actually do it fairly often. Effective compressions takes practice and that classroom time is the only opportunity many people get to actually use this skill AND be observed/coached. Online CPR certification does not ensure technique is performed well enough to save a life and the public deserves better than that.

R

Thank you very much for that post, Ricu.

And...anyone hear about the 'Stayin' Alive' connection? :33:

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Thank you very much for that post, Ricu.

And...anyone hear about the 'Stayin' Alive' connection? :33:
    Yes, I have and it works perfectly for timing but there's nothing worse than getting the BeeGees stuck in your head...

R

Bad enough living through that stuff once.....now this?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast