Thread: Career Change - What exactly am I getting into?

Career Change - What exactly am I getting into?

Hi. I am so glad that I discovered this site! I think there is a lot of great information being exchanged here and hope you all can help me. I am 25, recently laid off, and have been contemplating a career change to nursing from the business field. The next few years will be very important as I wish to get married and start a family before I am 30.

I am planning to get a MSN, which will take me 3 years to complete, not to mention that I still have to do a few prerequistes as well before I even apply to nursing school. What I would like to know is...What exactly am I getting myself into once I graduate from school in regards to time with raising a family? Are my first years as a RN with a MSN going to be working graveyeard shifts? If so, how many years can I expect to do so? If they need nurses in another city, will I have to go or will I have a choice to stay closer to home? Nurses can work part time correct? What should I expect...not to have kids till later?

I've heard different things from different nurses, and believe it really depends on what department I choice to be a nurse in so I am really confused, but need to know more about what I am getting myself into for future plans. If you think of anything else that would be useful to know as well, please let me know. I appreciate it, and look forward to your thoughts.

Re: Career Change - What exactly am I getting into?

It depends on how many hours you choose to work. You will be fine and it will be, by far, the best choice you've ever made if you go through with it.

I have not worked in the nursing field as yet. I am pretty much like you. Working on pre-requisites and will be applying in Feb. to the ADN program of a local college. But if your concerned about time and hours. Most hospitals have whats called PRN or Resource Pool. These allow you to work where and when you want. But the draw back is normally they dont odder any benefits depending on the hospital. And most have a higher rate of pay since ther are no benefits. It's your call.

Have a great Day
    Jerry

Way to go! The only comment I will make here is that I think it is extremely important that you not omit for yourself the experience of nursing "in the trenches" so to speak. My professor, last semester, works in a local ER on weekends because she believes that she cannot teach nurses when she has no idea what they do and experience on a daily basis. She is a PhD. She is the best instructor I have ever had and it is because she could relate to her class. Back to your question about work and family....there are so many creative work schedules out there you should have no problem. You will probably have to work some holidays but hopefully someone will trade in order for you to spend Christmas at home. I do this any time I can since my child is grown. I believe in Moms being home with their little ones at Christmas. Best wishes!

Thank you all for your replies. All your words are very encouraging. I can't wait to start my prereq classes now. I don't feel that I can go wrong with nursing, but I guess I just felt a little worried. I will definitely look into the PRN thing and keep all your words of wisdom with me. Thanks again...