Thread: Nursing school or Physician assistant school

Nursing school or Physician assistant school

Hi, I am new here and I have to say this web-site has really opened my eyes to the nursing field.

I am a 27 year old male, I have a BS in Biology and a degree in chiropractic. I graduated chiro school Dec 2003 and recently decided that chiropractic is not for me.

So, my next step is going back to school for something else which I have narrowed down to two careers. One is nursing because my mother is a nurse in the ICU dept. Two is a physician's assistant.

Currently I am in the process of applying to an accelerated BSN and also to a physician assistant program. I think I have a good shot at getting into either one of the programs - if I could make up my mind.

Here are the things that I am attracted to in nursing. It looks like a rewarding career where there are endless amounts of jobs and opportunities. I would like to get into travel nursing ASAP. The pay is also very generous which I need to pay back my student loans

The physician assistant profession is also attractive. It seems like more of a 9-5 job with good pay. I could see myself working in an orthopedic surgeon's office doing exams and helping out with surgery.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would love you. I can't say that this has been an easy decision to change careers but I only see the chiropractic profession spiraling downward in the future.

Thank you

Re: Nursing school or Physician assistant school

Hi malestudent welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that chiropractic is not for you. My guy has really helped me with assorted sport related injuries. He's Canadian and uses an air driven hammer for his adjustments. You do need about 3-5 visits for it to be effective though. He also uses Vax-D for herniated disks. Lots of glowing testimonials about this Rx.

Sorry to say, but that PA stuff is just more of the same for you, only this time you're doomed to eternal scut work. At least in nursing, you have a different focus. You treat the patient as a whole person not just a disease process. I think that will be more in line with chiropractic training.

Whatever you choose though, good luck to you and visit often.

O_S

Thank you for the reply Old School

Can you tell me more about a PA. Are you saying that PA work is a dead-end.

Thanks

My point is, and this includes ARNPs, why would you want to do everything a physician can do; but you will never be invited to be a member of the "club"? A resident physician once told me that " I can put up with this scut work for two years because there is an end in sight, and then I can go out on my own." My perception is that PAs and ARNP's are like eternal residents.

Ok, I understand your point. I take it you would recommend a nurse over a PA or NP. I think life as a nurse would be more attractive - exciting work, millions of jobs, high pay, respect.

Do you agree?

PA's avg about $72,000 / yr, according to the PA's head association but there are less jobs out there.

I am leaning toward the nursing field, like I said before my Mom has been a nurse for 18 yrs in the ICU dept. The profession has treated her very well, except for all the extra meetings she has to go to.

How do you feel about the nursing profession Old School? Has it been good to you?

Personally, Nursing is a pain in the butt, and I knew that going in. The patient contact and good that I know I do each day that keeps me in it.

Also dated several nurses before I became one. No surprises, no disappointments.

You might find these articles of interest.

Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

They shoot from the hip describing why they would and would not recommend nursing.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

[ QUOTE ]
    malestudent said:

How do you feel about the nursing profession Old School? Has it been good to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I really have no complaints. I have a really good QOL and a lot of time to call my own. If you want to know how I got into nursing, click here. Scroll to the bottom of the thread.

O_S