Thread: Losing/Throwing away instruments

Angry Losing/Throwing away instruments

I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent intruments from being accidentally thrown away. What are the consequences for this? I know we can't blame one person, but some one has to be accountable, and how do I make a person/team accountable? Any help please????

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Losing/Throwing away instruments

Quote Originally Posted by sbnursing View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent intruments from being accidentally thrown away. What are the consequences for this? I know we can't blame one person, but some one has to be accountable, and how do I make a person/team accountable? Any help please????
    Well, if you're already marking non-disposable instruments with red tape, then there's not much more you can do, other than educating employees about where to put dirty red-taped instruments, and making sure there are enough accessible collection buckets for these instruments (if people can't find where they are supposed to put non-disposables, they will just throw them in a sharps box).
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Member Extraordinaire

One time I was so busy cleaning up when a case was going on I just threw away a whole bunch of instruments the CST had put them to the side in a disposable bucket (they were clean but not needed in the case) then after the doc scrubbed it tossed his towel on top of them and I just stacked the other disposable bucket on top of the towel and grabbed them both up and put them in the trash a few minutes later the CST asked where thos instruments went....oops I went digging.

At one point, where i work, things were 'disappearing' so much that two people had to sign a form on top of the case cart before decontam got it. Also, which someone cleaned up their table and tray, another set of eyes watched. A lot of people were insulted and offended by this, but i personally was sick of ordering the same crap over and over, and going over budget as a result.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]