Thread: PBDS tests

Cool PBDS tests

I am new to travel nursing, I just accepted my first assignment. I was cautioned by someone, at a facility I was working in a few weeks ago, that a friend of hers arrived at a hospital for a travel assignment and was given a test, and if she couldn't pass the test, they would not honor her contract and she would simply be sent home! (Happily, she passed the test!)

During my interview, the nurse manager told me the hospital has all travelers take a PBSD (Performance-Based Development System) which I will need to pass before I can begin my assignment.

For anyone familiar with or if you have taken one of these tests, what can I expect? How long will it take? And most importantly, is there some way I can study and prepare for this test?

Why do they wait until you've already spent all the money and taken the time to travel hundreds or thousands of miles, when there's a chance they're going to send you back home? There must be another way to test a nurse's skills, like a computer-based test.

Any insight and tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: PBDS tests

Did a search of the site, and came up with a few threads you might be interested in: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f7/what-pbds-33451/

Interesting how these tests are used now! At my hospital, they were used for new grad RN's during orientation to see what areas they needed to focus on. There was no studying or anything, it was just sprung on them during their orientation. If they "failed", the manager was just notified of the areas they needed to focus on, and they also got to redo the test with the educator. But their employment was not affected. Our institution no longer uses this test (for some reason), but I find it interesting that travelers, who have passed boards, and most likely have at least 1 or more years of successful nursing experience, would need to take a test like this! ( Cat, for some reason I couldn't get that link to work)

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Try it now. I had to re-tweak it some.

Try doing a search (button above) on this site re: the test, too.