Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nj Ramp

Re: Nj Ramp

Hello all, Im 1 month into the NJ Ramp program. As expected, Im going through a difficult time. Im feeling depressed and very doubtful about my future in Nursing. I have one question for now. Do all nurses have the Attorney General involved with their cases. I was accused of diverting because there was some wasting issues when I was the sole nurse on-call. As a result, I was cited for negligence, malpractice and incompetence. In addition, violation of the nurse practice act. Also, I have to attend the RAMP program. Is this expected. Does this mean it will be more difficult to find a position when I complete the program. Im fearful at this point. Im trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. One question for you, were you diverting? If you were, then I would suggest you find recovery, as this is what is changing my life. I still have RAMP in my life, and they will be for the next 4.25 years at least. Not everyone has the Board of Nursing or Attorney General involved in their case. Well, let me rephrase. Everyone has the Board of Nursing involved (as everything has to be reported to them), but because of them being overloaded with complaints due to the Cullen law, they are sending most people right into RAMP. You're case seems to be more involved then mine, but I know others in my RAMP peer group that have similar involvement. Did you have to hand in your license or is it physically still in your possession? You are not alone. If you are an addict, focus on recovery and everything else will fall into place. Today, for me, life is good. Actually it's better than it's ever been. A year ago, my world was falling down and I was in constant despair. I was afraid to reach out to anyone and didn't know RAMP existed. Stay with it. Chris

Thank you Chris. No, I wasn't diverting and yes I still have my license. From what I've heard, They're going to restrict me from working in high stress areas for awhile.....like im going to be able to work in that area anyway huh. As for now, Im looking for the light and keeping my head high. Keep in touch good friend

As you can see by the name, Im not the RN. I have a few questions as well. My wife was recently sent for treatment out of state through RAMP. I have a lot of questions regarding this whole situation so Ill get to the big ones.
    1) I was told that her license is suspended, its been almost 2 weeks and havent heard anything on that. Is this true?
    2) Is anyone in the program or gone through the program actually working in the nursing field again?
    3) How long does this process last? I mean Im told that anywhere from 6-12 months before re-entering her field.. We cant handle that financially at all.
    4) Is there a place for me to get help with this, to understand the whole process, to cope with this whole thing. I mean how are your husbands/wives dealing with this?

Thanks for any help you can give. Feel free to send me an email.

I'm not in NJ, but can speak to how it's done here in MA. It's a 5 year program:

First year, license is suspended.

At the 12-month mark, basic nursing privileges are restored i.e., no meds.

At the 18-month mark, basic meds are restored i.e., no narcs.

At the 2 year mark, all privileges are restored.

Random urine checks.

Quarterly meetings with the BON.

Attended an intensive outpatient program.

Need to go to a peer support group once/week.

Attend 4 na/aa meetings per week.

Go to a therapist 2x/month for a minimum of two years.

In order to get privileges restored per above schedule, you have to be damn close to 100% compliance with the BON program. It's a great program and keeps me on my toes.

For yourself, maybe consider going to Alanon; it's a 12-step program for those who are dealing with another's addiction.
    :rolleyes:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Nj Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Hubby_of_RN View Post
    As you can see by the name, Im not the RN. I have a few questions as well. My wife was recently sent for treatment out of state through RAMP. I have a lot of questions regarding this whole situation so Ill get to the big ones.

Thanks for any help you can give. Feel free to send me an email.
    I am a graduate of a diversion program and I can tell you that yes I am working as a nurse - will nearly all the opportunies and privileges I had before this happened - there is a lighyt at the end of the tunnel .

Now for your questions.

1) I was told that her license is suspended, its been almost 2 weeks and havent heard anything on that. Is this true?
    ---- It varies from state to state and what actualy occured - if your wife had criminal charges her license is likely suspended or revoked. It will then be stayed and she will be put into a probation program - with stipulations for her practice. That's how they do it in California.

2) Is anyone in the program or gone through the program actually working in the nursing field again?
    ----- See Above I am 5 years clean and sober - working at a nursing job I love and am a better nurse for it all.

3) How long does this process last? I mean Im told that anywhere from 6-12 months before re-entering her field.. We cant handle that financially at all.
    ----- In California the program lasts 3 to 5 years. The financial pressures of this are inded tough. I was not allowed to work for 9 months during which time I collected disability. All treatment and legal expenses I had to pay which came to about $450 dollars a months for mandated treatment, psychiatry, and psychologist visits, drug tests and state fees. My husband and I took out a 2nd mortgage on our house, cut every corner ( Ie No cel phones, no cable, lot's of hamburger helper, no vactions, sold one car) and white knuckeled for those 9 months.

4) Is there a place for me to get help with this, to understand the whole process, to cope with this whole thing. I mean how are your husbands/wives dealing with this?

----- A very good suggestion is to get involved in Al-anon or codependent's anonymous. One will help you to understand your wife's addiction and the other will help you understand your response to it. My husband and I came very close to getting a divorce when this whole thing started. He threatened to take our son and leave me on a curb at Skid Row - which is about how low I had gotten. But we stuck it out and have a good marriage today, Our son is healthy and happy and I am a Happy Grateful, sober alcoholic, working nurse.
    You will get through this.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12